Coping with a bereavement is painful enough without the added pressure of dealing with the deceased’s financial affairs.
However, our specialist Probate Solicitors can help to make the Probate process as stress-free and painless as possible.
Our Probate team offers a friendly and approachable service, which we tailor to each client’s specific needs.
After all, Probate can be straightforward for some families and full of complexity and dispute for others. So our Probate Solicitors will only provide the service that you need during this difficult time.
So get in touch for free initial legal advice and to find out how we can help you.
More Information on Probate
When someone dies, everything they owned at the time of death is called their Estate.
Every Estate is different. So we offer a range of Probate services so you can choose the service you need at a price that suits.
For small Estates, we offer fixed Probate fees and we’ll do as much or as little of the administration work as you need.
This will usually include obtaining a Grant of Probate and distributing the Estate to the Beneficiaries. But we can also handle other tasks such as returning a passport to the passport office and dealing with the house clearance.
We can also take care of house insurance and utility bills, check for missing assets or policies and protect the Estate against unknown creditors.
Where matters are more complex our Probate Solicitors can provide comprehensive advice, deal with the Inheritance Tax, Income Tax and Capital Gains Tax matters, prepare full Estate accounts and correspond with the Beneficiaries.
If the Will is challenged or a dispute arises, our Contentious Probate Solicitors can help you.
Our Probate Services include:
Get in touch with our Probate Solicitors for free legal advice.
Top rated by our clients - but don’t just take our word for it…
Funding Your Case
We offer a 3-tiered pricing structure for Probate work so you can see which tier applies to your circumstances and what’s included for that price.
Clear and open pricing is just as important to us as it is to you.
We understand that everyone has different needs, so instead of offering a one-size-fits-all pricing option, we provide pricing suited to your individual needs.
That means you don’t over or underpay, and you can pay the right fee in the right way for the service you require.
When you speak to our Probate specialists, we’ll take the time to understand your circumstances and the kind of help you need, as well as how you want to receive our advice.
We’ll then provide you with choices on how you may like to pay for and fund your legal advice.
Probate Fee Options include:
- A Fixed Hourly Rate
- A Fixed Quote for All the Work
- Staged Payments
Applying for Grant of Probate, Collecting and Distributing Assets
Our Probate Solicitors charge on a time spent basis. We charge in 6 minute units (10 units per hour). Charge-out rates vary depending on the Solicitor or Lawyer acting for you.
The exact cost will depend on the individual circumstances of the matter. For example, if there’s one Beneficiary and no property, fees will be on average £4,000 excluding VAT and disbursements.
If there are multiple Beneficiaries, a property and multiple bank accounts, fees will be on average no more than £10,000 excluding VAT and disbursements.
We’ll handle the full Probate process for you. This estimate is for Estates in England or Wales where:
- There is a valid Will
- There is no more than one property
- There are no more than 3 bank or building society accounts
- There are no other intangible assets
- There are 1 to 4 Beneficiaries
- There are no disputes between Beneficiaries on division of assets. If disputes arise this is likely to lead to an increase in costs
- There is no Inheritance Tax payable and the Executors don’t need to submit a full account to HMRC
- There are no claims made against the Estate
Disbursements Payable in Addition to the above:
- £3.00 to obtain an up-to-date office copy entries from HM Land Registry of the Title for a registered property
- Probate application fee of £155.00
- £5.00 Swearing of the oath (per Executor), plus a further £2.00 for each exhibit (for example, a Will and any Codicils thereto)
- Bankruptcy-only Land Charges Department searches (£2 per Beneficiary)
- £83.40 to enter a Trustee Act Notice in The London Gazette - This protects against unexpected claims from unknown creditors
- Approximately £300.00 to place a Trustee Act Notice in a Local Newspaper - This also helps to protect against unexpected claims
Disbursements are costs related to your matter that are payable to third parties, such as Court fees.
We handle the payment of the disbursements on your behalf to ensure a smoother process.
Potential Additional Costs
- If there is no Will or the Estate consists of any share holdings (stocks and bonds), there is likely to be additional costs that could range significantly depending on the Estate and how it’s to be dealt with. We can give you a more accurate quote once we have more information.
- If any additional copies of the grant are required, they will cost £0.50 each and (1 per asset usually).
- Dealing with the sale or transfer of any property in the Estate is not included.
On average, Estates that fall within this range are dealt with within 9-12 months. Typically, obtaining the Grant of Probate takes 16-20 weeks.
Collecting assets then follows, which can take between 6-10 weeks. Once this has been done, we can distribute the assets, which normally takes 4-6 weeks.
We also offer a Fixed Fee Grant of Probate Application (only) Service where we only apply for the Grant of Probate on your behalf.
Our Probate Solicitors and specialists have many years of collective experience in delivering high quality work in all matters relating to Wills and Estate Administration. The team has members with particular expertise in high value Estates and Inheritance Tax matters.
For free legal advice call our Probate Solicitors
We're happy to help
Monday to Friday 8:30am-7:00pm
08002 605 010
We're happy to call you
Simply click below to arrange a call
Simpson Millar is a national law firm with over 500 staff and offices in Bristol, Cardiff, Lancaster, Leeds, Liverpool, London - Euston, London - Fleet Street, London - Teddington, Manchester, Morecambe and Southport.