Child Law Solicitors

For initial legal advice contact our Law Society Accredited Children Law Solicitors.

Call us on 08002605010 or

If you are a mother, father or grandparent, or if you have a close connection to a child, perhaps as a result of being their step-parent or older sibling, our Child Law Solicitors can help you by making sure you know your legal rights, the children’s rights and what your options are.

Your key aims paired with the child’s best interests will always be at the forefront of our advice and the legal services we provide, whether that’s helping you reach an agreement, applying for a Child Court Order, or representing you in the Family Court.

For initial legal advice get in touch with our Family Law and Divorce Solicitors

Call us on 08002605010 or request a callback and we will help you.

Child Law Solicitors for Divorce and Separation

If you’re going through a divorce or civil partnership breakdown or you’re not married, our goal is to get you the best possible outcome for you and your children.
If you’re a grandparent struggling to see your grandchildren, a family member under the age of 16 or if you’ve been left looking after them, talk to us and we can help to formalise the arrangement or get help from the Court to allow you to see them.

Likewise, if you aren’t biologically related but you’ve been living with a child but your family has fallen apart, there are powers available to a Court to preserve your relationship with them, if it’s considered to be in their best interests.

Child Law Advice and Legal Services

One of our specialist Family and Child Law Solicitors can help you with any of these issues:

  • Access to Children / Child Contact – When you split up with your partner, whether you were married or not, it’s important to know that you have regular access to your children and remain in their lives. There are a number of different ways you can agree on child contact and having access to your children. You can do this informally with a Parenting Agreement which we can help you to prepare or you can apply for a Child Arrangement Order. In some cases, these can be made by agreement without going to Court, as long as you both agree or if you can’t come to an agreement with your former partner, you can ask the Family Court to decide.
  • Child Custody – You’ll both have to come to an agreement about who will have custody of your children after you separate. When you can’t reach an agreement, directly or through a Solicitor or Mediation, you can go to Court and ask a Judge to decide for you and the outcome may not be what you want, but it will be enforceable by the Court. That’s why you’re better off reaching agreement with your ex.
  • Child Custody If You Don't Have Parental Responsibility – If you’re not married and you’re the father, you may not have Parental Responsibility. If you don’t, you should get it. But if the Court agrees a Child Arrangement Order for your children to live with you, you will automatically be granted Parental Responsibility. The mother of a child automatically has Parental Responsibility. If you are a father and you were married when the child was born, or your name is on the birth certificate, you will automatically have Parental Responsibility.
  • Parental Responsibility – There are some situations where you may not have Parental Responsibility and you want it. You could be a father, who’s not married and not named on your child’s birth certificate or you could be grandparents looking after your grandchildren full time. Our Child Law Solicitors can help you to get Parental Responsibility if you need it so you can continue or start to have input into your children’s or young family member’s lives.
  • Child Maintenance – You’ll both need to decide how you will each support your child after separation and you can do this by agreeing an amount of Child Maintenance. One parent usually pays and the other person usually receives Child Maintenance, unless you have shared residence. If you can’t reach an agreement, then there’s a formula which is used to work out how much should be paid, and a number of ways to secure payments, which our team can advise you on.
  • Moving with Your Child – This includes moving within the UK and outside of it. It’s a big decision that affects everyone involved. There can be many reasons why you want to move away with your child such as a new partner, a new job opportunity or returning to be near your family and support network, and we can help you if you’re the one who wants to relocate or if you’re the parent who will be left behind.
  • Adoption – If you are going through the adoption process and you need legal representation as a fee-paying client, we can do that for you. You will need to go to Court to get your Adoption Order and we can advise you at every stage of the process.

Different Types of Child Arrangement Orders

  • Child Arrangement Order – Previously called a Residence Order or Contact Order, a Child Arrangement Order is a Court Order which sets out the details about where your child will live and with whom, along with any other details that need to be specified. You can make a Child Arrangement Order when you both agree on the details. A Judge in Family Court will review it and as long as making the order is considered better for the child than not making it, they will approve it. The Court operates a “No Order Principle” meaning that it will only intervene if it is best for the children involved. Having a Child Arrangement Order in place means that you both know what’s agreed and you have to stick to it.
  • Specific Issue Order – This Court Order is used when an agreement can’t be reached about a certain issue. This could be changing a child’s name, taking them out of the UK for a holiday, what medical treatment they can receive, what religion they should practice or where they should go to school. The Family Court will decide for you both on the outcome, considering the best interests of the child, first and foremost. For more information see Specific Issue Order.
  • Prohibited Steps Order – A Prohibited Steps Order is a Court Order used to stop your ex-partner from doing something you don’t want them to do. For example, you could stop your ex from taking your child on holiday if you are concerned that they may not come back or from moving them to a new school without your consent.

For initial legal advice on Court Orders for children please get in touch.

Call us on 08002605010 or request a callback and we will help you.

Family Mediation

Before you get to the point of going to Court, you will have to go through Mediation first. Mediation is there to try to resolve the issues you are facing without having to go to Court.

There are some circumstances when you can avoid Mediation, for example if your ex-partner has been violent towards you, so ask us if you’re not sure and we can explain the whole process.

Going to Family Court

Once you’ve been through Mediation, if you still can’t agree your last option is to go to Court and ask a Judge to decide for you. We can represent you in Court.
A Family Court Judge will make the decision based on a number of things. These are:

  • Your child’s feelings and wishes – more weight will be given to these the older your child is
  • Your ability to meet your child’s needs
  • Your ex-partner’s ability to meet your child’s needs
  • Any potential risks or harm
  • The age, sex and background of your child
  • The best interests of your child.

At the centre of every decision the Court makes is the best interests of the child.

For more information see Different Types of Court Orders for Children.

Why Choose Simpson Millar?

We are accredited by the Law Society for Family Law and for Children Law. Our national team of specialist and highly experienced Solicitors and Lawyers can help you with deal with any Children Law matter.

We’ll be transparent about our Solicitors fees so there are no hidden costs or nasty surprises. We offer various payment options to make getting the legal advice and support you need manageable and affordable.

For initial legal advice call our Family Law and Divorce Solicitors

We're happy to help

Monday to Friday 8:30am-7:00pm

08002 605 010

08002 605 010

We're happy to call you

Simply click below to arrange a call

Request a Call Back

Request a Callback

This data will only be used by Simpson Millar in accordance with our Privacy Policy for processing your query and for no other purpose

Simpson Millar Solicitors are a national law firm with over 500 staff and offices in Bristol, Cardiff, Lancaster, Leeds, Liverpool, London and Manchester.

We’re proud to hold Law Society accreditations, these show that we’ve earned special recognition of our expertise and help to promote high quality standards in legal services. They can also enable clients to easily identify proven legal experts when choosing who to instruct.

We’re members of Resolution - a national organisation of Family Lawyers committed to non-confrontational divorce, separation and other family problems.

Family Law Accreditation Logo
Children Law Accreditation Logo
Lexcel Legal practice Quality Accreditation Logo
Resolution Logo