Accident in a Public Place

For free legal advice call our Personal Injury Solicitors and we will help you. Ask if we can deal with your claim on a No Win, No Fee basis.

Call us on 08002605010 or

Our Personal Injury Solicitors offer clear and straightforward legal advice, tailored to each client’s specific needs and circumstances.

Our expertise in public liability claims has helped many people claim high levels of compensation. So just leave the hard work to us, while you concentrate on your recovery and rehabilitation.

When you get contact us for a free consultation, we’ll offer you impartial legal advice on what to do next. Ask if we can deal with your claim on a No Win, No Fee basis.

After taking on your claim, we can then assess your injury further and gather evidence to support your case, and we can even provide independent financial advice about damages that could be recovered.

Call us on 08002605010 or request a callback and we will help you.

Public Liability Claims for Compensation

When you’re out and about, businesses and public bodies, such as councils and local authorities, have a duty to ensure your safety whenever you enter their premises or use their facilities.

This includes all open and public places including shops, parks, gyms, supermarkets, car parks, schools, restaurants and bars.

Accidents can occur for a number of reasons, but the most common ones are caused by slipping on a wet surface or spillage, tripping over obstacles, using faulty equipment or falling objects.

Businesses and public bodies must follow health and safety regulations and take reasonable measures to prevent you suffering any harm. If they fail to do this, they are negligent and could be liable for any accident you suffer.

Public bodies are responsible for the upkeep of our roads and pavements. They’re under a duty to ensure they are inspected and maintained on a regular basis to keep them in good repair.

So if you’ve tripped into a pothole more than 40 mm deep or tripped over an uneven paving stone and suffered injury, you may have a claim against the public body responsible for that piece of highway.

It isn’t always obvious who is responsible for accidents that occur whilst you’re out and about.

That’s why it’s important to get in touch with our specialist Personal Injury Solicitors.

We’re very experienced in tracking down the rightful organisation liable for your injury. And even if you’re partly to blame for your accident, we may still be able to help you make a claim for compensation. 

Call our Personal Injury Solicitors on 08002605010 or request a callback and we will help you.

Case Studies

Frequently asked questions

What is the claims process?

Each accident in a public place injury claim is different, so we can’t put a figure on how long it will take to settle your case.

A complex case in which the other party refuses to accept liability could drag on, but in some instances, they might be keen to settle quickly and amicably.

After taking on your case, we can work with an independent medical expert to assess your condition.

We’ll also help if medical treatments and rehabilitation support is required, and offer support if your case ends up going to Court.

Our personal injury team have the expertise to make the difference between winning or losing a personal injury case and maximising the amount of damages recovered.

What funding is available?

Claims of this nature can often be funded through a No Win, No Fee agreement - ask us for details.

What qualifies as a public place?

A public place is anywhere that can be accessed by the general public, such as a park, shop, road or restaurant.

The organisations responsible for them, such as councils, property owners and businesses, are legally required to put measures in place to ensure they’re safe.

So if you go somewhere and sustain an injury that wasn’t your fault, you might have a case for compensation.

Is there a time limit for lodging a claim?

You have three years from the date of your accident in which to make a claim.

Whilst you can make a claim at any point within this time period, we do advise you to consider doing so earlier rather than later, as it can make gathering evidence for your claim much easier.

What organisations can I claim against?

Most public places are owned or managed by a business or public body and they’re all under a duty to ensure your safety.

If you’ve had an accident, it is always worth speaking with one of our specialist Personal Injury Solicitors to see whether you have a viable claim against an organisation. Our initial discussions are without charge or obligation and we’d be happy to advise you.

What evidence do I need?

Our Personal Injury Solicitors will investigate your claim for you and obtain all evidence from the parties involved. However, it’s very helpful if you’re able to take any photographs shortly after the accident as defects, potholes and hazards can be quickly rectified.

If you’re not able to do so because of your injuries, ask a relative or friend to take some photographs for you, as they’ll assist your case. 

If I win my case, who will pay my damages?

Most businesses and public bodies have public liability insurance in place to deal with any accident claims. One of the first tasks our Personal Injury Solicitors undertake is to check the insurance of any potential defendant.

Will I have to pay any legal costs?

Our Personal Injury Solicitors will ensure that you have the correct funding methods in place to avoid you paying any costs out of your own pocket whether your claim succeeds or not. 

For free legal advice call our Personal Injury Solicitors

We're happy to help

Monday to Friday 8:30am-7:00pm

08002 605 010

08002 605 010

We're happy to call you

Simply click below to arrange a call

Request a Call Back

Request a Callback

This data will only be used by Simpson Millar in accordance with our Privacy Policy for processing your query and for no other purpose

Simpson Millar Solicitors are a national law firm with over 500 staff and offices in Bristol, Cardiff, Lancaster, Leeds, Liverpool, London, Manchester and Southport.