Institutional Abuse Claims
For free legal advice call our Abuse Claims Solicitors and we will help you. Ask us about Legal Aid or if we can deal with your claim on a No Win, No Fee basis
If you were abused in an institution such as a school, care home or church, we can help you get the justice and support you need, along with compensation.
We know that the compensation is often not the main focus when making an abuse claim. Your abuser may have escaped criminal prosecution and making a civil claim is the only way you can get justice. Whatever your circumstances, our expert Abuse Claims Solicitors can give you free and confidential legal advice.
You can get in touch with us for a free, confidential consultation so we can talk about your situation and how we can help.
We’ll tell if you have a compensation claim and then you can decide if you do want to take your claim further. You don’t have to make a decision immediately - take your time to make sure you’re clear about the claims process. We’ll answer any questions you have and we can talk about how you can pay for your claim. You may qualify for Legal Aid, depending on your financial situation or we could handle your claim on a No Win, No Fee basis.
Why Choose Simpson Millar?
Choosing the right Solicitor to handle your claim for institutional abuse is so important. You need to be sure that you feel comfortable with them and that they have specialist experience in making claims against institutions for abuse. These are some of the reasons why you should choose Simpson Millar for your abuse claim.
- Our specialist Abuse Claims Lawyers have been helping survivors of abuse get justice for more than 20 years
- We can help you find support and survivor groups near you. Sharing your experiences with other people who’ve been through similar experiences can be an important part of the recovery process
- Our compassionate and understanding team want to make the claims process as easy as possible for you. We’ll speak to you in clear, straightforward language and keep you updated regularly
- We’ll tailor our services to your unique situation and needs
- Our expert Abuse Solicitors are members of the Association of Child Abuse Lawyers (ACAL)
People We've Helped
Here are just a couple of people we've helped to make a compensation claim for institutional abuse.
Successful Abuse Claim against a Children’s Home
We represented a man who’d been sexually abused in a charity-run children’s home in the 1970s by a male care worker. Although the care worker had been convicted of abuse in relation to our client and many others, he denied that our client’s psychological problems were all connected to the abuse. By persevering with the case, we secured £75,000 in compensation without our client having to go to Court.
Man Makes Abuse Claim Against Boarding School
Our client suffered sexual abuse by a volunteer worker at a boarding school in the 1980s when he was just seven years old. Following a complaint, the abuser was dismissed from the school, though he continued to arrange contact with our client, as he had a strong hold over him and the sexual abuse continued into adulthood.
The abuser was convicted a year after our client contacted the police, and after we arranged for our client to be assessed by an independent medical expert, the owners of the boarding school agreed to pay our client £18,500 in compensation.
Abuse Claim Against a Children’s Home
We represented a client who was sent to a children’s home at the age of ten, where he spent five years. During this time, he was severely abused by a member of staff who was later convicted. With our help, he was awarded £75,000 in compensation, and he is now optimistic he can finally have closure and get on with his life.
Making an Abuse Claim Against an Institution
Institutional abuse usually happens away from the home. This could be in places such as:
- Care homes
- Changing rooms in sports buildings
- Swimming pools
- Holiday buildings
- Club or Leisure premises, such as scout huts and school halls
In many child abuse cases, people working at these organisations used their position to commit a crime. That means that the organisation could be held legally responsible for the abuse that has happened.
Even if the abuser was a volunteer, rather than an employee, the organisation will still usually be responsible for any abuse.
What is the Claims Process?
Before you start, it’s really important that you know exactly what will happen throughout the claims process. This will help you to stay as stress-free as possible through what will probably be an emotional time.
- Free Assessment of Your Enquiry - One of our specialist Solicitors will review any information you’re happy to provide before deciding whether it’s possible for us to pursue your case
- Collecting Evidence - If we take on your claim, we’ll collect any relevant evidence. This could include any records or notes which could have documented what happened at the time. Other useful evidence can include day books, registers and personnel records. We’ll take care of tracking this down
- Medical Report - we’ll arrange for you to see an independent medical expert so they can prepare a report for you, which will detail how the abuse has affected you
- Details of your Claim - the evidence of abuse we gather will help us understand what care and support you may need and how much compensation you could claim
- Settle Your Claim - we’ll approach the institution responsible and try to negotiate a settlement with them. Often, institutional abuse claims are settled without going to Court, but if your claim doesn’t settle, don’t worry, we’ll be there with you every step of the way. If your claim isn’t successful or can’t proceed, we’ll give you detailed reasons as to why this is the case.
How Do I Pay to Make an Institutional Abuse Claim?
Institutional abuse claims are usually paid for by either:
- Legal Aid, which will be means tested and depend on your financial circumstances
- A No Win, No Fee arrangement
- Legal Expenses Insurance, usually as an add on to home or motor insurance policies
- Private funding, where you pay our legal fees directly
We’ll discuss the best funding options with you before starting your claim.
Recent Articles and Case Studies
For free legal advice call our Abuse Claims Solicitors
We're happy to help
Monday to Friday 8:30am-7:00pm
08002 605 010
We're happy to call you
Simply click below to arrange a call
Simpson Millar Solicitors are a national law firm with over 500 staff and offices in Bristol, Cardiff, Lancaster, Leeds, Liverpool, London and Manchester.