Injury Claims Against the Council

For free legal advice call our Personal Injury Solicitors and we will help you. Ask if we can deal with your claim on a No Win, No Fee basis.

TrustpilotStarsWe're ratedExcellent

Councils must make sure that public places they’re in charge of are safe, to prevent members of the public from suffering injuries – whether this is a pavement, park, road or building.

If you sustained injuries from an accident in public, or on council property, and you believe it happened as a result of the council’s negligence, get in touch to see if you could be eligible to make a claim for compensation. Our Personal Injury lawyers are experts in these claims and have achieved thousands of pounds in compensation for people against councils and local authorities.

To claim compensation, we will need to prove that your injury has been caused by the council’s actions or failings in their duty of care to you. Get in touch with us for a Free Case Assessment, where we’ll find out about your situation and let you know if you could be eligible to make a claim. We could even deal with your claim on a No Win, No Fee basis.

TrustpilotStarsWe're ratedExcellent

Even if the accident was partly your fault, you can help us prove that the council could have prevented your injuries by:

  • Taking photos or videos of the scene of your accident, and your injuries;
  • Establishing whether there is any CCTV footage from the area you fell – try to request a copy as soon as you can to ensure the CCTV is retained for evidence;
  • Collecting the names and addresses of any witnesses;
  • Reporting the incident to the police and letting us know the incident number.

Our specialist lawyers have years of experience achieving compensation for people in some of the following scenarios:

Injuries in public places

  • Injuries caused by raised paving slabs, drain covers or other pavement defects (that were sticking up by at least one inch) if you’re walking/running on the pavement;
  • Injuries caused by potholes that are 40mm deep or more, either as a passenger or in a Road Traffic Accident;
  • Injuries resulting from raised tree roots;
  • Cycling accidents caused by poorly maintained roads;
  • Injuries caused by icy conditions, where the council should have gritted the road/pavement;
  • Child accidents in playgrounds, parks, or council-owned leisure centres;
  • Injuries caused by falling tree branches on council-owned land;
  • Accidents on poorly lit council-owned car parks;
  • Accidents on the stairs in council-owned properties;

If you don’t see your situation here, we’d still advise you to get in touch. Our solicitors are some of the UK’s best Personal Injury lawyers and if we can take your claim forward, we will find out as much we can to work towards the best compensation for you.

What types of Injury Could I Make a Claim Against the Council For?

We specialise in serious injuries, as we know these can have a devastating impact on your life. Not only do they cause you a huge amount of pain, but they can have many knock-on effects in your life, such as loss of income, travel expenses to appointments, and an effect on your ability to socialise and perform day-to-day tasks.

Our Personal Injury solicitors will take all of these impacts into consideration when we investigate your claim and negotiate your final compensation, including any multiple injuries you might have. Here are some examples of injuries that people have made claims for, where we have recovered thousands of pounds in compensation:

Sometimes, injuries can lead to other conditions and complications. Compensation can help you get back to the quality of life you had before your injuries, if you’re suffering from:

Why Choose Simpson Millar?

  • We’re specialists

    We’ve got a great track record claiming thousands of pounds compensation for our clients against councils and local authorities.

  • We open up the law

    We try and make the law straightforward by avoiding legal jargon. We’ll keep you informed throughout your claim.

  • Access to experts

    We work with world-class doctors, surgeons, therapists, physiotherapists and more. We can visit you at home, in hospital, or speak to you virtually.

  • Accredited lawyers

    We’re one of the UK’s leading Personal Injury claims solicitors. We are also recognised as national experts in legal directories such as Legal 500.

How the Claim Process Works for Injury Claims Against the Council

The process for making a claim against the council will vary slightly, depending on what kind of claim you make, but here is an overview of what to expect.


    You get in touch with us

    You get in touch with our expert solicitors for a Free Claims Assessment. We’ll get as much information as we can about your situation and let you know if you could make a claim against the council. If we think a third party could be held responsible that is not the council (e.g. a private business), we’ll let you know the next steps.


    We’ll get in touch with the other party

    We’ll contact the council or authority and ask them to admit responsibility for your injuries.

    This could be the local authority if your child was injured in public, eg in a school, shop or playground. There may even be a mix of people who were responsible so we will investigate this properly e.g. by getting in touch with another driver in a road traffic accident.


    We could get you early payments for Personal Injuries

    If the injuries are serious, we know it’s important to start recovery as soon as possible, and private healthcare can be expensive if you need it. We could ask the council to make early interim payments for this, before we settle your claim.


    Gather evidence

    We’ll gather evidence to maximise the amount of compensation you could get. This might include CCTV footage of the accident, photographs, witness statements or an independent medical expert’s assessment.


    Final settlement and compensation

    We’ll use our expertise to negotiate with the council to get you the best settlement possible. Once this has been agreed, we’ll try and get the compensation to as soon as possible, or help you set up a Personal Injury trust if you’re claiming for an injury on behalf of a child under 18.

FAQs about Injury Claims Against The Council

The exact amount of compensation you could get will vary, but we’ve secured millions of pounds for our clients over the years who have made claims against the council. We’ll take into account how severe the injury has been, and any long-term impact it might have.

Compensation could help you pay for:

  • Loss of earnings from time you’ve had to take off from work – you may even need training for a complete career change;
  • Travel expenses you incurred from travelling to appointments or the hospital;
  • Aids and adaptations you might need to your home/car if your injuries are serious;
  • Any adjustments to education your child might need if they’ve been seriously injured e.g. a home tutor – our Education Law team can help with this;
  • Rehabilitation and care you might need now and in the future.

You usually have 3 years from the day you suffered your injury to start a claim for compensation. If you developed a certain condition as a result of your injury, the time limit is 3 years from the date you were diagnosed with this.

If you’re making a claim on behalf of a child, you usually have until their 18th birthday. We advise you get in touch with us as soon as you can, because we may be able to get them early rehabilitation to get them on the road to recovery.

If you’re 18 or over, you can make a claim for an accident you were involved in before you turned 18. You have until your 21st birthday to do this.

It’s also possible to make a claim on behalf of someone that doesn’t have the mental capacity to make decisions for themselves – there is no time limit on doing this. If you’re unsure on whether the person does ‘lack capacity’, our Court of Protection team can help.

Councils, local authorities and businesses have a legal duty to protect members of the public who are visiting their premises or accessing public places. This includes places like roads, pavements, shops, parks and restaurants. They must regularly inspect and maintain public places to ensure they are in a safe condition, so if you are injured in a council-owned space, they could be legally responsible for your injury.

Councils must show that they conducted regular safety inspections and acted quickly enough to fix any issues, e.g. pavements in a state of disrepair. Our expert Personal Injury lawyers will do everything in their power during your claim to prove that these standards were not met, so we can secure the compensation you deserve.

All UK employers, including councils, have a legal duty of care towards their employees, to ensure people are given adequate training on health and safety in the workplace. They must monitor the working environment to make sure it is safe and deal with any risks or hazards promptly to prevent injuries.

Call us on 0808 258 0024 or request a callback to discuss your case with us for free.

We might be able to deal with your claim on a No Win No Fee basis, depending on your situation. That means you won’t pay anything unless we win your case, taking any financial stress out for you.

We’ll ask the person or company responsible to make early, interim payments for you if you need quick rehabilitation or support after a Personal Injury. The Rehabilitation Code encourages all parties to work together in this way. This means that you can focus on your recovery, even if your claim hasn’t been settled yet.

If your child is injured whilst trespassing, i.e. they’ve unlawfully entered a premises, the owner of the premises may in some circumstances still be responsible for their safety. It’s accepted in the law that some parts of premises (trampolines, climbing frames, low buildings, sheds) might be an allurement to children. In those circumstances, the occupier of the premises may have a responsibility and duty of care even if the child unlawfully trespassed. Any dangerous parts of premises (e.g. fragile rooves, unsafe play equipment) should be cordoned off and have warning signs displayed.

Get in touch with our lawyers, who can give you expert advice on whether you could be eligible to claim compensation.

If you contact us about making a Personal Injury claim, we’ll always ask you if you did everything you could to prevent you or your child from getting injured.

As experts in their field, our specialist Personal Injury lawyers will gather all the evidence they can. We’ll get an independent medical expert to assess your injuries and any knock-on effects they’ve had. This will give you the best chance at securing the maximum compensation. Most personal injury claims are settled outside of court, but if you do end up having to go to Court, we’ll support you and give our expert advice all the way through.

Even if the other party – a local council, school or road user for example – was only partly responsible, and you may have been at fault somehow, you could still be entitled to compensation, so get in touch with us today.

Top Rated by Our Clients for Injury Claims against the Council

Simpson Millar
Based on 2651 reviews

Get in touch, today!

Fill in the form below to get in touch with one of our dedicated team members, or call our team today on: 0808 239 3227

This data will only be used by Simpson Millar in accordance with our Privacy Policy for processing your query and for no other purpose