If you or your child has been abused by someone working in a sports club or facility, our compassionate and supportive Abuse Claims Solicitors are here to listen and help you.
Our expert team are specialists in Physical and Sexual Abuse and offer a free case assessment, so we can talk to you about getting you the justice, support and compensation you deserve. Sometimes, criminal prosecution may not happen, so making a civil claim can be another way to access the justice you need so you can start to get some closure.
We understand that speaking about what’s happened before making a claim can feel very daunting, but we’re committed to making the claims process as stress-free as possible, and giving you the support you need every step of the way.
Contact us for a free, confidential case assessment. We’ll talk about your experiences and whether we can help you get the justice you deserve. Ask us about Legal Aid or if we can deal with your claim on a No Win, No Fee basis.
Bringing a claim of this kind can be stressful and psychologically challenging, but we can connect you with the best available support networks in your area. Talking about your past experiences can help you come to terms with what’s happened and understand the effect it’s had on your life, so it can be a vital step for you.
Why Choose Simpson Millar?
- With more than 20 years of experience helping survivors of abuse, our specialist Abuse Team have a deep understanding of the impact abuse can have, along with a strong track record of helping clients get the compensation they deserve
- Our Solicitors handle every case sensitively and empathetically. We’re well-equipped to handle even the most complex abuse cases and will fight tirelessly for a fair outcome
- Every abuse case is different and each client has different needs. We’ll tailor our service to meet your needs, wishes and circumstances
- We’ll always talk to you in clear, open and straightforward language that you can understand
- Many of our team are members of groups that specialise in this area of law, such as the Association of Child Abuse Lawyers (ACAL).
Can I Claim Compensation for Sports Abuse?
Taking part in sport can be an enriching, life-enhancing experience for children. But sadly, abuse at sports clubs can be common, especially if the club hasn’t carried out extensive background checks on coaches and other staff.
It’s the duty of the sports club to make sure that children are safe and protected, so if abuse happens, anyone who’s been affected has the right to look for justice and claim compensation.
If criminal charges have not been taken forward, a civil claim could be your only option to get justice and some closure. While no amount of money can repair the damage caused by abuse, making a civil claim and getting compensation can help you to get the vital care and support you may need, along with a sense of closure. We can also assist and advise you on how to report the abuse you’ve suffered to the police if you’ve not yet taken this step.
Bringing a claim against a sports club, could also lead them to bring in tougher measures to stop other young people being harmed in the future.
What’s the Abuse Claims Process?
- Our specialist Solicitors offer a free confidential case assessment. We’ll listen to you to and look at any information you’re happy to give us. If we think you have a strong case, one of our Abuse Solicitors will be assigned to you. They’ll be your main point of contact throughout your claim.
- Your Solicitor will carry out a thorough investigation of what’s happened to you, gathering evidence to support your claim. You may need to see an independent medical expert so we can better understand how your experience has affected your life. This will help us identify how you’ve been impacted, what care and support you need, and how much compensation you can claim.
- Your Solicitor will approach the sports club or facility responsible with the details of our claim based on the information and the instructions you give us. All claims are different and can proceed in a number of different ways, but we will advise and support you throughout whilst doing everything we can to resolve your claim out of Court. If there’s any reason why your case can’t go ahead, we’ll give you a detailed explanation as soon as possible.
How Does Sports Abuse Happen?
People working at sports clubs can use their position to manipulate and abuse children. They could make promises to young people, groom them and exert psychological control over them.
Abuse victims, meanwhile, may feel like they don’t have a voice and can’t speak out against their abuser. It’s only once abuse survivors break this pattern and reach out for support that they can begin to process their experience and look for the closure they need to start to rebuild their life.
How Will I Pay to Make a Sports Abuse Claim?
Your legal costs for making a sports abuse claim can be paid for by:
- Legal Aid
- A No Win, No Fee arrangement
- Legal Expenses Insurance, usually attached to a house or car insurance policy
We’ll talk through all the options to pay your legal costs with you before any work starts.
People We've Helped
For free legal advice call our Abuse Claims Solicitors
We're happy to help
Monday to Friday 8:30am-7:00pm
08002 605 010
We're happy to call you
Simply click below to arrange a call
Simpson Millar Solicitors are a national law firm with over 500 staff and offices in Billingham, Bristol, Cardiff, Catterick, Lancaster, Leeds, Liverpool, London and Manchester.