Fixed Fee Divorce Solicitors

For initial legal advice contact our Fixed Fee Divorce Solicitors and we will help you.

TrustpilotStarsWe're ratedExcellent

No fault divorce is intended to take unnecessary upset out of the divorce process to allow everyone involved to keep things as amicable as possible.

There’s no doubt that getting a divorce can be painful, but the process itself doesn’t have to be. By using our No Fault Fixed Fee Divorce, you can be certain about what’s included in the price, with no hidden costs.

Our No Fault Fixed Fee Divorce Costs £600 (VAT Included). Plus the court fee.

You will be fully supported throughout the divorce process and we will deal with your former partner or their Divorce Solicitor and the Court. This takes the pressure off you, so that you can take care of yourself and your family.

The person who applies for the Divorce is known as the Applicant and the person who replies to a divorce petition is called the Respondent.

For initial legal advice contact our national team of Divorce Solicitors.

TrustpilotStarsWe're ratedExcellent

Divorce and Finances

There will be financial issues arising from every separation, whether about the family home, other properties, investments, policies or savings, as well as Pensions and business interests.

We can also help you to sort out your finances alongside your divorce. You should be aware that just because you get a divorce, that doesn’t deal with the financial claims you have against one another. It’s really important to deal with financial matters, so that you can try to obtain a “clean break” and move forward with confidence and certainty.

If you and your former partner have agreed on the split of your matrimonial finances, we can also offer you a Fixed Fee Consent Order so your divorce financial settlement can be dealt with at the same time.

If you have not agreed how to divide your finances, we can help you in any financial claim that you may want to make or represent you in any application made by your former partner to make sure you’re protected.

Why Choose Simpson Millar to Help You?

  • We’re the Open Lawyers

    We’re doing all we can to open up the law. Being clear and transparent about the divorce process and the fees involved is as important to us as it is to you

  • Cost Certainty

    You need to know exactly how much the divorce will cost so you can budget. Our Fixed Fee Divorce allows you to do that

  • Expertly Guided

    Our team of Family Law and Divorce Solicitors will make sure you understand the whole process from start to finish. We’ll be there with you every step of the way, using plain and easy to understand language

  • Appointments to Suit You

    We offer a variety of options for appointments including telephone and video calls

If you want to talk about payment options, the divorce process or would like to speak with someone about a Fixed Fee Divorce, call one of our experienced Divorce Solicitors today.

What is Included in the Fixed Fee Divorce?

When you get a Fixed Fee Divorce, here’s what’s included:

  • Advice about the divorce process at each stage
  • Completion of the divorce application and sending it to the Court
  • Application for the conditional divorce order.
  • Application for the final divorce order
  • Provided you with digital copies of all important documents, for safekeeping

What’s Not Included in the Fixed Fee Divorce?

  • The Court fee, which in some cases can be reduced or avoided completely
  • If your former partner objects to the divorce or it becomes contested, the basis of legal jurisdiction or validity of the marriage.
  • Arranging service of papers upon your spouse former partner, if they won’t engage with the process.
  • Representing you in Court or attending remotely in respect to any aspect requiring a hearing in relation to the divorce. (almost all divorce cases are dealt with on paper, meaning that going to Court is very unlikely)
  • Application for costs or disputes about who pays for the divorce (under the No Fault divorce procedure, claims for costs will be rare).
  • Obtaining a copy of your original marriage certificate or translating it if you were married abroad.
  • Any legal advice or work needed to resolve financial issues
  • Any legal advice or work about arrangements for your children

Can I Get a Fixed Fee Divorce?

Yes, you can, if you and your former partner have:

  • been married for more than a year
  • you confirm your marriage has permanently broken down
  • your marriage is legally recognised in the UK
  • you are habitually resident in England and Wales and have been living here for at least 12 months immediately before you issued your divorce application
  • you are domiciled in England or Wales and have been living here for at least six months immediately before you issued your divorce application

If you or your partner are able to prove a sufficient connection with England and Wales so that the court has jurisdiction to deal with your divorce application, one or more of the following needs to be true:

  1. you or your former partner were domiciled in England and Wales when the divorce begins
  2. your former partner is habitually resident in England and Wales

If you or your former were last habitually resident together in England or Wales and one of you still lives here and:

  1. your former partner does not object to a divorce based upon the jurisdiction of the court to deal with matters, or on the basis that the marriage is not valid.
  2. You are paying the costs, or you have agreed to share them

Top Rated by Our Clients for Family Law Claims

Simpson Millar
Based on 2647 reviews

Fixed Fee For Responding to a Divorce

If your former partner has applied for a divorce and you need to respond to the divorce petition, we can do this for you for a fixed fee of just £600 (VAT included).

If you agree to the divorce and don’t want to object to it due to jurisdiction of the court or validity of the marriage, we can offer you a Fixed Fee service.

  • An initial letter or email to the Applicant or their Solicitor to inform them of our involvement
  • Completing the Acknowledgement of Service online
  • Sending you the Conditional Order and Final Order of Divorce.
  • Any work to object to the Application for a Divorce.
  • Representing you in Court or attending remotely in respect to any aspect requiring a hearing in relation to the divorce. (almost all divorce cases are dealt with on paper, meaning that going to Court is very unlikely)
  • Application for costs or disputes about who pays for the cost of the divorce (under the No Fault divorce procedure, claims for costs will be rare).
  • Any legal advice or work needed to resolve financial issues
  • Any legal advice or work about arrangements for your children

What's the Fixed Fee Divorce Process?

The Fixed Fee Divorce process itself is straightforward. The steps are:


    Contact Us

    Contact us to arrange your fixed fee divorce.    


    Preparing the Divorce

    We prepare the Divorce Application for you and send it to the Court.


    Response to a Divorce Application

    The Court sends it to your former partner who needs to complete the Response to a Divorce Application to confirm they’ve seen the divorce papers.


    Written Statement

    We’ll prepare a written statement to the Court to confirm everything in the application is true and asking for the divorce to continue.


    Issuing a Certificate

    A Judge will review the documents and as long as everything is correct, they’ll issue a ‘certificate’ to confirm that the grounds for divorce have been proved. Everyone will get a copy of the certificate and a date for the pronouncement of the conditional divorce order will be set. You won’t need to go to Court for this.


    Apply for a Final Divorce Order

    You can apply for the final divorce order, which finally ends your marriage, six weeks and a day after the Decree Nisi has been pronounced, but ideally you should make sure your finances are agreed before the Decree Absolute is applied for.

Our Awards & Accreditations

Our National Family Law Award Winning Divorce Solicitors are all Family Law specialists.

All of our lawyers are members of Resolution, which is committed to their Code of Practice, promoting a constructive approach to family issues that considers the needs of the whole family. This means we work with you to resolve divorce issues in a constructive way. This approach is there to try to get better outcomes for everyone involved in the divorce process.

Fixed Fee Divorce FAQs

In England and Wales, you can start divorce proceedings once you have been married for at least a year.

There is one ground for divorce – your marriage has irretrievably broken down. You have to state one of five ‘facts’ in the divorce to prove the breakdown. The five facts are:

Adultery – your husband or wife had sex with someone of the opposite sex and you’ve not lived with it for more than 6 months

Unreasonable behaviour – your husband or wife has behaved in such a way that you cannot reasonably be expected to live with them.

Desertion – your husband or wife has left you for at least two years before you start your divorce.

Two years separation and you both agree to the divorce – if you both agree and you’ve been separated for at least two years, you can apply for a divorce.

Five years separation – you can apply for a divorce if you’ve been separated for five years, even if your husband or wife does not agree

In England and Wales, a divorce normally takes around six months. There are some more complicated circumstances which could result in the divorce taking longer.

You will need to pay the Court fee if you are the one applying for the divorce. You’ll also have to pay any legal fees for legal advice about your divorce. It’s important to get legal advice from a specialist Divorce Solicitor so you know where you stand. We offer an Initial Fixed Fee Consultation to discuss your situation with you. We can give you all the options at this meeting, so you know the facts before moving forward. Legal Aid is not available for divorce unless there has been domestic violence or child abduction, but we don’t offer this service.

No, we can’t as it is a conflict of interest. It’s important for you both to have independent legal advice and we’ll do all we can to make sure that our involvement does not affect your current agreement.  We can make recommendations for their representation to help the process if necessary.

Yes, you can, people do reconcile.  However, if the divorce has already reached the Decree Nisi stage, your husband or wife could simply apply for the Decree Absolute, which means the divorce would be finalised. Generally speaking, you have more control if you started the process.

Probably not as most divorces are dealt with by the Court on paper. If your divorce is defended, you may need to go to Court but this is rare.

You’ll need to make a divorce application and send it to the Court with your original marriage certificate and the Court fee.

You can get a certified copy from the General Register Office (GRO) online, as long as you were married at least 18 months ago. If not, you should apply to the Register Office local to where you were married. It will cost you around £11 to £15 currently and will take 15 working days. 

Yes, you can as long as your marriage is recognised in England or Wales. You’ll need to prove that you were married abroad, and you can do this with your original marriage certificate. If you have lost it, you may have to apply for another one from the country you were married in which could cause a delay.  It’s best to check you have this document as part of your preparation for seeking legal advice for your divorce.

The divorce documentation needs to be served on your spouse and the Court requires proof they received it. They do this by completing an “Acknowledgment of Service” form. If they don’t respond after the paperwork has been posted to them, our Divorce Solicitors can arrange for him/her to be served personally with the paperwork by an agent. There is an additional fee for this service.

You’ll need to show to the Court that you’ve done all you can to trace your wife/husband. The Court may then rule that the divorce can go ahead without the paperwork being served on your spouse. We can tell you what steps you need to take to try to track down your spouse and you’ll need to swear on a statement that we draft for the Court. This will increase the cost of your divorce.

No. You’ll need to deal with any financial issues separately. If you and your husband or wife can agree on how to deal with your financial matters, a solicitor can draft the agreement into a Consent Order which is filed at Court for approval.  If you can’t agree, you can still get divorced, but we strongly advise you to deal with your financial issues before the divorce is finalised. If the Court does not make an Order on financial matters as part of your divorce, then either of you could still make a claim against in the other in the future, even though you’re divorced.

No. Your divorce simply deals with dissolving your marriage. You’ll either need to come to an agreement with your husband or wife or let the Court decide. Applications will be made through the Family Court, but you will need to attend a Mediation Information & Assessment Meeting, known as MIAM first. This is a requirement before going to Family Court but there are some exemptions.

A Decree Nisi is made when the Court is satisfied that you have met the criteria to divorce. Nisi means ‘unless’ in Latin. That means your divorce is not finalised unless you apply for a Decree Absolute. Once a Decree Nisi has been issued, the Court can make Financial Orders but you won’t be divorced until your Decree Absolute is pronounced.

A Decree Absolute is the final Order of the Court that will end your marriage. Once the Decree Absolute is issued, you can get married again. Do get legal advice before you remarry as this could impact you financially if you’ve not resolved your financial and property matters first.  You may also want to consider a Prenuptial Agreement.

Your Divorce Solicitor will tell you the when to apply for the Decree Absolute. If you applied for the divorce (the applicant), the first date you can apply for the Decree Absolute is six weeks and one day after the Decree Nisi has been made. However, it may be better for you to wait until all the property and financial issues have been resolved so you don’t jeopardise your financial position.

As the respondent to the divorce proceedings, you can apply for a Decree Absolute three months after the time the applicant could first apply. Practically, this means you can apply about four and a half months after the date of the Decree Nisi.  This will require a statement justifying why you are applying to divorce as a Respondent and will increase your costs.

The parts of your Will that relate to your ex-husband or ex-wife will be affected by your divorce. Anything you left to your ex-partner will be treated as if they died on the date of the Decree Absolute. Although your Will is not invalidated by your divorce, you should make a new Will as soon as possible to avoid your Will being ignored because your ex-partner is treated as having died on the day you divorced.

Get in touch, today!

Fill in the form below to get in touch with one of our dedicated team members, or call our team today on: 0808 239 3465

This data will only be used by Simpson Millar in accordance with our Privacy Policy for processing your query and for no other purpose