In a world where your data has become a valuable asset data breaches are becoming more and more common. Personal data breaches happen for a number of reasons such as cybercrime, human error or bad business practices. We have a team of specialist Cyber Security Solicitors who can help you if your personal data has been accessed or used without your consent by making a Data Breach Claim.
If your personal or financial data has been shared, you may be worried about the impact on you. Any business that holds your personal data is required to keep it safe and comply with Data Protection regulations including the European (GDPR) General Data Protection Regulations.
Examples of GDPR and Data Breach Cases
Recent data breaches by high profile companies show that any company can put their customers at risk by failing to prevent their data from being accessed. These include:
- Virgin Media
- British Airways
What Should You Do if You've Had Your Data Breached or Accessed?
You may either be informed by the organisation who has suffered a breach or through the media when this has been made public.
You may not feel the full effects of any data breach for months afterwards. This is usually because of the way that criminals use stolen data. It can be extremely stressful, with far reaching consequences in your life that take a lot of time and effort to put right.
What Types of Organisations Can We Help You Claim Compensation for a Breach of Your Data?
Whether you’ve suffered a data breach by a large or small organisation, we can help you. Remember, it’s not just businesses who lose your data. We can help you with data breaches suffered by:
- Private businesses
- Banks and financial institutions
- Local Authorities
- Health bodies
- The Police
- Education providers
Can You Claim Compensation for a Data Breach?
You could claim compensation if your personal or financial data has been breached.
Our specialist Data Breach Claim Solicitors can help you so get in touch for a free initial review of your situation.
Meet Some of our Data Breach Solicitors
Why Choose Simpson Millar for Your Data Breach Claim?
- It’s important to know you have a specialist Solicitor working on your case
- We are a well-respected national consumer law firm protecting your rights
- Once we’ve taken on your claim, we’ll tell you who will be leading and give you their contact details
- You can contact them to talk through any questions you might have and they’ll give you regular updates on your claim
Top rated by our clients - but don’t just take our word for it…
What is the Data Breach Claim Process?
- Review your data breach – We’ll talk to you in detail about exactly what happened and get some information from you
- Investigate your claim – If you decide that you want us to take the next step, we’ll start to investigate your data breach claim
- Write to the business or organisation who breached your data – We’ll send a letter to tell them that your data’s been breached and outline what we think they should do about it
- Ask the Information Commissioners Office (ICO) if they’ve reported a data breach (they’re required to by law) – they regularly update their information with confirmed data breaches
- Start the claims process and recover compensation – we’ll move your claim forwards and try to get you the compensation you are entitled to.
Types of Data Breaches
There are a number of different ways your data can be breached by a company or organisation. These include:
- Your data was hacked
- Your information was leaked online
- Your personal data was lost
- Your personal information was sent to someone else without your permission
- Your data was held by a company and they’ve not kept it up to date
- Your personal data was accessed by someone in the business without permission
- Your information was used fraudulently or mishandled by the organisation
You can make a claim against any company or organisation who hasn’t protected your personal data. You don’t have to have suffered financially though – the distress caused by your data breach is enough to claim compensation.
How Much Compensation Can I Claim?
The amount you’ll get in compensation does depend on the impact of the data breach on you. There’s no doubt that a data breach will cause you distress. Just because your data isn’t a physical possession, it doesn't mean that you won’t be upset and distressed when it’s taken from you.
But along with the distress of having your data taken, you may have financial losses as a result. If your credit card data is stolen and used or your identity is stolen and used fraudulently to apply for credit, bank account or to access your own accounts the impact on you can be severe.
We’ll talk to you about how much compensation we think you can get based on the circumstances of your data breach.
How Much Will it Cost?
If we can assist with your your data breach claim we will do this on a No Win, No Fee basis. This means you won’t have to pay anything upfront and you’ll only pay our legal fees if you get compensation.
You’ve got nothing to lose. We also offer a free initial assessment to see if you have a case to bring.
Time Limits on Data Breach Claims
This is currently 6 years but there are strict time limits on making a data breach claim. It’s really important to get specialist legal advice as soon as you can to make sure you stay within the time limits to make a successful claim.
It's easy to get in touch
We're happy to help
Monday to Friday 8:30am-7:00pm
08002 605 010
We're happy to call you
Simply click below to arrange a call
Simpson Millar is a national law firm with over 500 staff and offices in Bristol, Cardiff, Lancaster, Leeds, Liverpool, London - Euston, London - Fleet Street, London - Teddington, Manchester and Southport.