If you’ve been affected by Hand Arm Vibration Syndrome (HAVS) after using vibrating equipment at work, such as pneumatic drills, concrete breakers and grinding tools, our Industrial Disease Solicitors can help you.
HAVS, also known as Vibration White Finger (VWF), is very common but it can take a long time for symptoms to start to show. So it’s really important to get a specialist Industrial Disease Solicitor, with experience of investigating events that may have happened a long time ago, to handle your claim.
We offer you a Free Claims Assessment, and we can tell you quite quickly if you have a claim. Our friendly, approachable team can help prove that your employers breached their duty of care by exposing you to harmful levels of vibration. We can usually offer a No Win, No Fee agreement. Just ask us for details.
Meet some of our Industrial Disease Solicitors
Why Choose Simpson Millar?
- Our Industrial Disease Solicitors can help you to get the compensation, care and support you need
- We’ll progress your claim quickly and efficiently
- If you’ve used hand tools at a number of jobs, you may not be sure when you were injured. We’ll complete a thorough investigation to find out who is responsible
- We’ll calculate how much compensation you need for any medical treatment and resources you’ll need to live with your injury, now and in the future
- We’ll get medical reports from specialist medical experts to support your claim
- Arrange any rehabilitation or treatment you need and include the cost in your claim
- We’ll update you regularly on your claim, using clear and straightforward language
- Our team is accredited by the Law Society Personal Injury Accreditation Scheme.
People We’ve Helped
We represented a man in his 30s who’d been diagnosed with HAVS. He saw his GP after getting pins and needles in his fingers. He realised his injury was the result of his use of vibrating equipment at work and although he hasn’t had to take time off work, he’s been left with continuing symptoms.
He struggles with many day-to-day tasks such as buttoning up shirts, and his hands often feel painful in cold weather. His HAVS symptoms are permanent, and they could affect his future job prospects.
Even though he’s still employed, his employer has to make sure that he doesn’t use vibrating equipment or that any use is kept strictly to a minimum.
Our investigations highlighted failings by his employer that led to him developing HAVS. He wasn’t warned about the risks of working with vibrating equipment, given any training on how to reduce exposure to vibration or provided with occupational health monitoring.
His employer agreed to settle and he was awarded £8,500 in compensation.
Can I Claim Compensation for HAVS?
If your employer has put you at risk by not having a safe system of work in place, you could claim compensation for your injuries. You would claim on their Employers’ Liability insurance policy.
It’s your employer’s responsibility to keep you safe and to be aware of the risks of using mechanical or pneumatic tools and equipment that vibrates and to manage them accordingly. So if they don’t and you have symptoms, then you may have good reason to make a claim for compensation.
Hand Arm Vibration Syndrome often affects nerves, blood vessels and circulation in the fingers.
Common symptoms include:
- Tingling sensation / pins and needles in the fingers
- Lack of feeling / numbness in the fingers
- Problems with grip and dexterity
- Whitening of the fingers, with painful recovery
In the long term, these symptoms can get worse if you keep using vibrating tools unsafely.
What is the Claims Process?
- Free Claims Assessment – We’ll get all the details we need so we can tell you if we think you have a successful HAVS claim.
- Who’s Responsible? – We’ll identify the employers and their insurers who didn’t keep you safe at work and we’ll submit your claim.
- Your Work History – We’ll need a statement from you about your work, the tools you used, the length of time you used them and the PPE you were given by your employer.
- Evidence and Witnesses – We’ll gather evidence and then take detailed statements from witnesses who can back up your case.
- Expert Medical Report – We’ll get a specialist medical report from a specialist in HAVS. They’ll report on your condition, how it’s affected your life and how it will impact your life in the future.
- Settle or Trial? – Most HAVS claims don’t go to Court, but if it does, we’ll be there to support you.
No Win, No Fee Claims
HAVS claims are usually funded through a No Win, No Fee agreement - ask us for details.
Time Limits on Making a Claim
Any claim for Hand Arm Vibration Syndrome must be made within three years of the date you knew or ought to have known that you were suffering with the condition. So it’s very important that you contact a specialist Industrial Disease Solicitor as soon as possible to get legal advice.
For free legal advice call our Industrial Disease Solicitors
We're happy to help
Monday to Friday 8:30am-7:00pm
08002 605 010
We're happy to call you
Simply click below to arrange a call
Simpson Millar Solicitors are a national law firm with over 500 staff and offices in Billingham, Bristol, Cardiff, Catterick, Lancaster, Leeds, Liverpool, London and Manchester.