What You Should Do if the Phase Transfer EHCP isn’t Received in Time

For initial advice call our Education Law Solicitors and we will help you.

Call us on 0808 239 9764

Has your child not got a place in the school you want? Download our guide to making a School Admissions Appeal.

School Admission Appeal Solicitors

Your Local Authority that maintains your child’s Education Health and Care Plan (EHCP) must issue a final amended EHCP by 15th February 2022 at the latest. This will name the school that they’re to attend from September

They must do this even if the actual school placement will not change, for instance, if your child attends a school that caters right through to secondary education and they are going to remain there from September 2022.

We can help you if the local authority has missed deadline. You may be able to challenge the decision by a judicial review. We can advise you of all the options available to you to get the best possible outcome for your child. 

For initial advice get in touch with our Education Law Solicitors.

Meet some of our Education Law Solicitors

Free Guide Download

Download our Guide to Missed Phase Transfer Deadlines

Call us on 0808 239 9764 or request a callback

How Can a Solicitor help with your EHPC?

Education Health and Care Plans (EHCP) for children transferring between phases of education must be amended before 15 February 2022 for children under 16 years old.

Who does this apply to?

This applies if your child is moving from:

      • Early years education to school
      • Infant school to junior school
      • Primary school to middle school
      • Primary school to secondary school
      • Middle school to secondary school

If your child is over 16 years old the deadline is 31st March 2022.

What to Do if Your Local Authority Hasn’t Followed Process

If your Local Authority hasn’t issued the final amended EHCP, then you could:

      • Make a formal complaint to your Local Authority about the delay. Your Local Authority complaint process should be available on their website or a copy should be given to you on request. If you’re not satisfied with the outcome of the complaint, then you can consider escalating the matter to the Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman (LGSCO).
      • Alternatively, we could seek a Judicial Review claim against the Local Authority. This is a claim to the High Court seeking an Order that the Local Authority issue the final EHCP. Before taking a claim, a letter known as a ‘letter before claim’ is sent to the Local Authority and this usually resolves the matter. This option is usually quicker than making a complaint or going through the LGSCO.

It’s important that Local Authorities comply with the 15th February 2022 deadline (for under 16 year old children) as if parents disagree with the school named for September or any other part of the EHCP, it allows sufficient time for the issue to be resolved before the end of the academic year through mediation and/or an appeal to the Special Educational Needs and Disability Tribunal (SEND); which our Solicitors can help you with.

This is the same for those over 16 years which would be the 31st March 2022. 

If the EHCP is not done in time, parents who want to challenge the school named are at risk of the matter not being resolved before taster days/inductions begin and even the start of the new school year.

If you haven’t received the final EHCP in time and you’re concerned about this, you can contact one of our Education Law Solicitors or Lawyers to discuss your options. It’s advisable to get legal advice on how best to approach the matter before taking any action.

facebook logo#EducationMatters

For advice and help join our Education Matters Facebook community group here


Simpson Millar Solicitors are a national law firm with over 500 staff and offices in Billingham, Bristol, Cardiff, Catterick, Lancaster, Leeds, Liverpool, London and Manchester.