Get in touch
Public Law Solicitor
Thomas has extensive expertise on a range of Education Law matters. Some of the issues he regularly advises on include:
- Securing Education, Health and Care needs assessments (EHCNA)
- Appeals to the Special Educational Needs and Disability Tribunal against refusal to make an EHCNA, refusal to issue an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP) and cease to maintain
- Appeals to the Special Educational Needs Tribunal Wales (SENTW)
- Securing preferred school placements in an EHCP including obtaining residential placements for children and young people with complex needs
- Disability Discrimination claims
- Appeals to the Upper Tribunal
- Home to School Transport disputes
- Judicial reviews
- Exclusions from school or college
- Admission Appeals
- Securing provision for children not receiving appropriate education
- Student finance.
Thomas joined Simpson Millar in August 2010, starting as a Legal Adviser in the Public Law department, and went on to complete his training contract and qualified as a Solicitor in February 2015. Upon qualification Thomas worked in the Family Law department before moving back into the Public Law department in October 2015.
Thomas holds an LLB (Hons) Law degree from Lancaster University.
As well as his work for Simpson Millar, Thomas is a Governor at Carmel College, in St. Helens and as part of this role he is Vice Chair of the Quality and Standards Committee. Thomas is also a Committee Member of the Lancaster and Morecambe District Law Society.
Interests outside of work
Thomas enjoys swimming, cooking, reading and walking.