Education Law Paralegal
Katie is a Paralegal in the Education Law department. She advises clients in relation to Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP) appeals against Local Authorities, disability and race discrimination claims against schools and bringing Judicial Review proceedings against public bodies.
She also advises parents and young people on matters including:
- Applications for EHCP assessments
- Appeals to the Special Educational Needs and Disability Tribunal against refusals to perform Education, Health and Care Needs Assessments, refusals to issue EHCPs, as well as appeals against the contents of EHCPs and decisions to cease EHCPs
- Securing preferred placements at specialist and residential schools
- Disability discrimination claims
- Judicial Reviews
- School admissions and exclusions.
Katie joined Simpson Millar immediately after graduating from Leeds University with an LLB Law degree in July 2018.
Interests outside of work
Katie enjoys travelling, in particular her annual summer trip around Europe (Germany, Switzerland and Italy) on a motorbike. She also has a strong interest in cooking, specifically plant-based cuisine.