Employment Law Associate Solicitor
He advises employees and senior executives on many aspects of employment law, including discrimination, whistleblowing, protective awards and restrictive covenants. He also advises businesses on matters such as drafting policies and procedures, restructure, redundancy and TUPE.
In addition, David acts for employee groups such as Trade Unions and other membership associations.
His main areas of practice include:
- Employment tribunal litigation, including bringing and defending group claims
- Discrimination law and advising HR professionals on diversity and inclusion projects
- Advising senior executives and directors on service agreements and other contractual terms
- Settlement agreement negotiations and complex severance packages for directors and senior executives
- Trade union rights, industrial relations and collective bargaining
- Strategic restructuring projects and redundancy exercises
- TUPE transfers and consultation obligations
- Data Protection and GDPR compliance
- Privacy issues that arise in the employment context
- Enforcement of restrictive covenants and disputes regarding misuse of confidential information
David has achieved a number of notable successes throughout his career to date, including:
- Successfully recovering a Protective Award of 90 days pay on behalf of 64 trade union members
- Acting for a freelance musician in a claim of disability discrimination, which also included issues relating to self-employment and worker status.
- Acting for an employee in a case of religious belief discrimination based on lack of belief, which settled on the first day of tribunal
- Advising on numerous corporate transactions regarding the employment aspects of share sales, business acquisitions and transfers under the TUPE regulations
- Advising a national company in the science and technology sector on their GDPR preparations, including on-site audit and detailed compliance report.
- Advising an international company on enforcement of post-termination restrictive covenants prior to injunctive proceedings and High Court litigation.
Professional Memberships & Accreditations
David is a member of the Employment Lawyers Association, and was listed as recommended in the Legal 500 2019.
Interests outside of work
David’s main hobby is Aikido, a Japanese martial art. He holds the rank of black belt, and is a qualified instructor. David has started up the running of his own club in Didsbury. David also spends much of his time promoting the club and Aikido in general.