Our Medical Negligence Solicitors are offering a free claims assessment with legal advice to maternity patients who may have received negligent care from Mid and South Essex NHS Foundation Trust; which manages Basildon University Hospital.
Basildon University Hospital Investigation
Basildon Hospital’s maternity unit was recently told to make urgent improvements by the Care Quality Commission (CQC), following an investigation in August 2020. This came after concerns about patient safety were raised by a whistle blower.
The CQC uncovered many serious failings at Basildon Hospital, for example:
- The maternity unit only had safe staffing levels during four shifts throughout the whole of August 2020
- High-risk women were giving birth in a low-risk area
- Lessons were not learned after the death of Gabriela Pintilie in February 2019, who lost six litres of blood during childbirth because of what the coroner described as delays, confusion, and a lack of leadership
- Safety meetings required during shift handovers did not happen
- Concerns were highlighted over foetal heart monitoring
- Incidents that affected patient safety were not appropriately categorised
- Staff were not given consistent guidance on spotting the risk of post-partum haemorrhage
- Women weren’t treated with dignity and were referred to by their room numbers, instead of their names