Why is Sodium Valproate Dangerous to Take During Pregnancy?
If you take the medication during pregnancy, it can cause a range of different conditions in your baby, which is sometimes called Foetal Valproate Spectrum Disorder (FVSD). For example, there is:
Sadly around 20,000 children have been affected by Valproate medicines in the UK since the 1970s.
The dangers of taking the drug during pregnancy only received mainstream attention around six years ago when the BBC reported that 70% of women surveyed had not received new safety warnings about it during pregnancy by their healthcare provider.
How Taking Sodium Valproate during Pregnancy can Affect Yours and Your Baby’s Life
Fortunately, exposure to Sodium Valproate during pregnancy has declined recently – the number of pregnant women taking it halved between 2018 and 2020.
However, many women are still reporting that they were not advised of the dangers of taking the drug during pregnancy. If your doctor did not advise you of the correct precautions to take, and risks associated with taking Sodium Valproate during pregnancy, your baby might be living with one or more symptoms of Foetal Valproate Spectrum Disorder. This can be life-changing both for your child, you and the rest of your family.
The support and care your child might need could affect your life drastically, for example:
- The educational support your child needs – they might have Special Educational Needs and require an Education, Health and Care Plan for special provisions at school, which our Education Law team can help with;
- The amount you and your partner are able to work, or the careers you can pursue, because of the all-round support that your child needs every day;
- Any aids and adaptations around the house your child might need, because of developmental problems that affect walking, hearing and speaking;
- Any extra travel costs you may have had because of appointments or surgeries at the hospital or doctors;
- Pain and suffering your child may experience;
- The emotional suffering you, your partner and your family may have experienced.
If this happened to you, your child and your family, and you’re thinking about making a Medical Negligence claim for compensation, you can hugely benefit from having one of our specialist lawyers on your side who are very experienced.
Compensation can help pay for any costs you’ve already incurred as a result of your baby’s condition, and any support or care they may need in the future.
Our Medical Negligence solicitors will know exactly how to advise you on your situation will take all factors of yours and your baby’s life into consideration to work towards the compensation you deserve.