Paedophile Jordan Croft is Sentenced to 26 Years in Jail

Posted on: 4 mins read
Share Article:

Jordan Croft from Worthing in West Sussex has been sentenced to 26 years in prison after admitting to 65 sexual offences at Lewes Crown Court in August 2022. We were deeply disturbed by the findings of the investigation in this case and we commend the women and girls who came forward with statements, ensuring that Croft received the punishment he deserved.

Croft, a self-professed paedophile, posed as a teenage boy online to gain contact with girls as young as 12-years-old. He would then reveal his real age and start demanding increasingly graphic photos and videos, these would include videos of young girls performing acts of abuse on themselves.

At the sentencing, statements were shared from survivors of Croft’s abuse that outlined the extent of the impact that it had on them. One read: “(Croft’s) actions have ruined the lives of hundreds, if not thousands, of young girls who will not forget or allow themselves to forget what (Croft) did to them.”

During their investigation, the National Crime Agency found that Croft had 20 different profiles across four messaging platforms and had been in contact with 5,000 girls on one platform alone. 

TrustpilotStarsWe're ratedExcellent

What is the Process for Reporting Child Sexual Abuse to Police?

If you’re the parent, family member or guardian of a child who has suffered sexual abuse, we would strongly encourage reporting this to the police in the first instance.

You can report abuse by filing a report online, calling 101 or by visiting your local police station. We’d recommend asking to speak to the Child Protection or Public Protection Unit, as they will have specialised officers who can properly support you and the child affected.

The police will talk you through what the prosecution process will involve, and if you decide to proceed, they’ll start their investigations. At this stage, the police will establish the facts of the case and gather evidence by speaking to witnesses and anyone they think could have useful information. 

These findings will be passed on to the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) who will review the case. They will then determine whether there’s enough evidence to prove that it’s in the public interest to bring charges.

If the CPS decides to proceed with the case, the person responsible for the abuse will be asked to plead guilty or not guilty at the Magistrates’ Court. If they plead guilty at this stage, there will be no need for a trial. Depending on the severity of the charges, the magistrates may transfer the case to the Crown Court as they have greater sentencing powers. If they plead not guilty, there will be a trial and again, the case may be transferred to the Crown Court where a jury will decide whether the person is guilty or not guilty.

If the jury finds the abuser guilty, the judge will provide a prison sentence either immediately or after obtaining further reports. If the abuser is found not guilty, it doesn’t necessarily mean you weren’t believed by the jury, it could just be that the evidence wasn’t strong enough to prove the case.

In the latter scenario, you can speak to the police about whether an appeal might be possible.

Can I Make a Claim on Behalf of a Child?

Yes, you can. As a parent or guardian, you’ll need to decide whether you wish to make a claim on the child’s behalf or wait until they turn 18 when they can decide themselves if they want to make a claim for compensation.  

If you bring a claim on behalf of a child, you will become their “Litigation Friend” and you will be the person who gives instructions on their behalf. As Litigation Friend you will, in effect, become our client, though you must act in the child’s best interests at all times.

It’s important to note that if the child involved decides to take legal action as an adult, they will need to issue Court proceedings within three years of their 18th birthday.

What Will the Claims Process Involve?


    A Free Initial Chat

    When you first get in touch with us one of our expert legal advisors will listen to the details of your situation and let you know whether they think you have a strong claim.


    Investigating the Claim

    We’ll set about gathering all the details and evidence required to support your claim. This could include medical evidence, any police statements and other relevant documents.


    Approaching the Other Party

    The majority of claims will be resolved through negotiation and you will not need to appear in Court. But when a child is involved, the Court will need to approve the settlement amount to make sure it is the best outcome. An Approval Hearing will usually take place as an informal meeting in a Judge’s office at your local County Court.


    Approval Hearing

    The majority of claims will be resolved through negotiation and you will not need to appear in Court. But when a child is involved, the Court will need to approve the settlement amount to make sure it is the best outcome. An Approval Hearing will usually take place as an informal meeting in a Judge’s office at your local County Court.


    Receiving your Child's Compensation

    When a final compensation amount is agreed and approved by the Court, the funds will be paid into Court funds to be invested and held for the child until they turn 18. You can apply to the Court, either at the Approval Hearing or by letter for some or all of the compensation to be paid out. But you will need to show that this payment will be used for the exclusive benefit of the child.

Online abuse

Any civil claim where someone has been abused or exploited online will be made against the abuser as an individual. Only in exceptional situations would a claim be brought against an organisation in these types of cases. For this reason, it would only be worthwhile bringing a claim if the abuser is a high net-worth individual, who has enough money to cover a claim for damages against them.

Where abuse has taken place online, it would only be possible to bring forward a civil claim (as opposed to a criminal injuries claim). This is because the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority’s 2012 Scheme does not compensate victims of online abuse, as the scheme only applies to victims of violent crimes.

We are hopeful that since the current CICA scheme is over 10 years old, a new scheme may be introduced which would include these types of offences. Such offences are unfortunately now much more common than when the current scheme was introduced in 2012. This is however by no means guaranteed and at present it is unclear what, if any, changes will be made.

How we can help

There’s no disputing that making the decision to claim on behalf of your child is a big decision. If you’re still unsure, our legal experts can provide advice that’s tailored to your situation. Get in touch with us to find out more.

Get in touch, today!

Fill in the form below to get in touch with one of our dedicated team members, or call our team today on: 0808 239 1287

This data will only be used by Simpson Millar in accordance with our Privacy Policy for processing your query and for no other purpose