Family Law Solicitors

For initial legal advice call our Family Law Solicitors and we will help you.

Call us on 08002605010 or

Our Family Law Solicitors and Divorce Solicitors are here to offer you practical legal advice and support.

We know family law issues are extremely sensitive, whether you’re facing a divorce, separation or dispute regarding your child. We aim to minimise animosity and stress in every case, but we’ll take firm legal action when needed.

Our goal is to get the best possible outcome for you and your children. We tailor our service to your unique situation, and we’ll always communicate with you in plain English, without legal jargon.

We have an excellent national reputation in family law. We are Law Society Accredited and all of our team are members of Resolution - a national organisation of Family Lawyers committed to non-confrontational divorce, separation and other family law problems. We can work with you to reach an agreement without the expense and stress of going to Court.

For initial legal advice get in touch with our Family Law Solicitors.


Meet our Family Law Solicitors

Call us on 08002605010 or request a callback and we will help you.

Child Law

Legal matters relating to children are often particularly fraught. We understand this, and we work to resolve child issues in the most non-confrontational way possible. However, if an amicable approach is not appropriate or is not successful, we have the expertise to act robustly on your behalf.

Our Family Law Solicitors can help you with a range of child law matters. These include child contact arrangements, child disputes regarding who the child will live with, schooling, medical treatment, a change of name or consent for holidays, and Parental Responsibility applications and issues. We know how to safeguard your rights and those of your children.

Child Custody

When the parents of a child separate, it can raise some difficult questions such as where should your child live, how much time should your child spend with the other parent and can your child go on holiday with the other parent. There are so many details to work out, it can sometimes seem impossible to agree.  

Our Family Law Solicitors can help you find a solution that works. If mediation or negotiation does not produce the results you are hoping for, we can apply for a Child Arrangement Order for you.

If you already have a Child Arrangement Order in place but you want to change it, or the other parent is not sticking to the terms, a Family Law Solicitor can apply to vary or enforce the Court Order. For more details see Child Arrangement Order Disputes.

For initial legal advice contact our Family Law Solicitors.

Top rated by our clients - but don’t just take our word for it…

Parental Responsibility

Parental Responsibility is a decision making power. It gives you a greater say over your child’s upbringing. If you don’t automatically have Parental Responsibility, you can get it relatively easily. You can do this with a Parental Responsibility Agreement. If the other parent or any person with Parental Responsibility does not agree that you should have it, you’ll need to apply for a Court Order for Parental Responsibility instead.

Our Family Law Solicitors can advise you whether or not you have Parental Responsibility for your child, step-child or loved one. If not, we can help you get it. If everyone consents, a simple agreement is needed. Otherwise, you can pursue the matter through the Courts.

Specific Issue Order

If you and your co-parent cannot agree about a specific issue relating to your children such as a change of name, a change of school or whether you can take your child abroad for a holiday, you can apply for a Specific Issue Order for the Court to decide. If you need to make this application, we can help you to achieve the best outcome possible at Court.

Other Child Law Matters

We can also help with other child-related issues, such as:

  • Child Maintenance Services
  • Relocation of a Child
  • Preventing Relocation of a Child
  • International Child Abduction
  • Medical Treatment Disputes
  • Change of Child Name Disputes
  • Holiday Disputes
  • School Change Disputes
  • Rights of Same-Sex Parents
  • Grandparents and Step-Parents Rights
  • Special Guardianship

Prenup and Post Nuptial Agreements

If you’re getting married shortly or you have just got married, you can protect your assets with a Prenup or Postnuptial agreement. These agreements mean that if your relationship ever breaks down, your assets and inheritance will be better protected. Prenups are for those who are getting married, and Postnups are for those who are already married. The same idea applies for civil partnerships.

One of our Family Law Solicitors can explain how a Prenup or Postnup could work for you both and we can draft the agreement for you. We will consider your current and future needs to help you preserve your personal wealth and inheritance for the future.

Cohabitation Agreements

‘Cohabitation’ means that you live together as a couple, but you’re not married. In England and Wales cohabitees don’t have the same legal rights as married couples. If you want to protect your assets, you need a Cohabitation Agreement. This sets out what should happen if your relationship comes to an end.

A Family Solicitor can draw up the agreement and give you legal advice on what it should include. Everyone’s circumstances are different, so your Cohabitation Agreement must be tailored to you and your partner.

Cohabitation Agreements are particularly useful if you are not married but have children together. The agreement can make sure your children are provided for, if your relationship breaks down. It could mean you avoid going to Court.

If you are living together as unmarried parents, you may also need a Family Solicitor for other legal matters, such as a property dispute or child financial disputes.

Find out more about how we can help with a:

Legal Services for Same Sex Couples

Most couples face similar legal issues, regardless of whether they are in a same sex relationship or not and the law is largely the same.

Our Family Solicitors provide specialist legal advice to same sex couples. Amongst other things, we can help with civil partnership dissolution, same-sex marriage breakdown, child custody and contact issues and Parental Responsibility.

For initial legal advice contact our Family Law Solicitors.

Latest Family Law & Divorce Articles

For initial legal advice call our Family Law and Divorce Solicitors

We're happy to help

Monday to Friday 8:30am-7:00pm

08002 605 010

08002 605 010

We're happy to call you

Simply click below to arrange a call

Request a Call Back

Request a Callback

This data will only be used by Simpson Millar in accordance with our Privacy Policy for processing your query and for no other purpose

Simpson Millar Solicitors are a national law firm with over 500 staff and offices in Billingham, Bristol, Cardiff, Catterick, Lancaster, Leeds, Liverpool, London and Manchester.