How Do I Claim Against a Local Authority for a Serious Injury?

Posted on: 2 mins read
Maeve McCusker

Associate Solicitor, Personal Injury Claims

Share Article:

If you suffer a serious personal injury and believe it’s the fault of your local authority, you may be entitled to claim compensation to help with getting your life back on track. 

We understand that if you’re seriously injured, you and your loved ones might not automatically think about claiming compensation. Instead, you’ll be quite rightly focusing on recovering from your injuries.

But if you are thinking about claiming compensation, there are several important steps you should take as soon as you can, such as:

  • Reporting the accident to your local authority
  • Take photographs of where the accident happened if possible, or the specific defect that led to you getting injured, such as a pothole or uneven pavement slab
  • If there were any witnesses to the accident, get their contact details if you can, as these people could back up your version of events
  • If the police were involved, take a note of their reference number

Taking these steps means you can have valuable evidence to support your claim, which makes it much harder for the local authority to deny responsibility for what happened to you. And that puts you in a much stronger position to get the amount of compensation you deserve.

TrustpilotStarsWe're ratedExcellent

Approaching a Solicitor

You should instruct a specialised Personal Injury Solicitor who will assess the claim and let you know if you have a good chance of success.

If your Solicitor thinks that the local authority was negligent, they will submit the claim to them on your behalf and obtain medical evidence to support your claim.

Our Personal Injury Solicitors aim to make the process of making a compensation claim as simple and straightforward as possible.

We’ll focus on the tricky, technical tasks, such as contacting the local authority and arranging independent medical assessments, so you can concentrate solely on getting better.

What Can I Claim Compensation For?

You can claim compensation for the serious injuries you have suffered and any financial losses you have incurred. This can include:

  • Loss of earnings
  • Medication costs
  • Travel expenses
  • Pension loss
  • Treatment costs
  • Adaptations to your home

Your Personal Injury Solicitor can also secure funding to make sure you receive the best rehabilitation to help your recovery.

Proof of Negligence

Generally speaking, you have a good chance of claiming compensation for tripping over a pothole if it was at least 40mm in depth. If you’re claiming for falling over an uneven paving slab, you may have a claim if it was sticking up by more than one inch.

Time Limits on Making a Personal Injury Claim

There is a three-year time limit from the date of the accident to formally bring a personal injury claim, so it’s well worth seeking legal advice as soon as possible.

The exception to this is if you’re claiming on behalf of a child, in which case the three-year time limit runs from their 18th birthday.

There is no time limit if you’re claiming on behalf of someone who lacks the mental capacity to make a claim themselves.

If you or a loved one have been injured and believe it’s because your local authority was negligent, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with us.

Our friendly team of Personal Injury Solicitors can discuss your situation with you and let you know if you have a good chance of making a successful claim. We offer a free claims assessment, and work on a No Win, No Fee basis, which means there’s no financial risk to you if you decide to claim compensation.

Get in touch, today!

Fill in the form below to get in touch with one of our dedicated team members, or call our team today on: 0808 239 3227

This data will only be used by Simpson Millar in accordance with our Privacy Policy for processing your query and for no other purpose