How Much Compensation Can I Claim for an Accident on Holiday?

Posted on: 1 min read
Paul Stevens

Senior Associate, Holiday Claims

Share Article:

The amount of compensation you can get depends on the nature of your case and your injuries. Generally, you’ll get a larger amount of compensation if you need long-term care, support and rehabilitation because of your injury. If you’ve had to stop working because of the accident, then loss of earnings will be factored into your claim.

Our Holiday Claims Solicitors have successfully dealt with thousands of holiday accident claims helping injured holidaymakers to get the compensation and support they are entitled to.

If you’ve had an accident abroad that wasn’t your fault, get in touch with our Holiday Claims Solicitors for free legal advice. Ask us if we can deal with your claim on a No Win, No Fee basis.

TrustpilotStarsWe're ratedExcellent


Each individual case is different, so we can’t put an exact figure on how much compensation you’re likely to get until we’ve looked into your specific claim. Usually, you’ll be compensated for:

  • The pain, suffering and trauma you’ve experienced
  • How much of your holiday was spoiled by the accident
  • Loss of holiday enjoyment
  • Any loss of earnings
  • Medical costs and out-of-pocket expenses
  • The cost of rehabilitation support you need
  • Care and assistance expenses
  • Home modifications if the accident caused a disability

Again, the above will vary for every individual and their personal circumstances. If we can take on your case, a Holiday Claims Solicitor will go through your case with you and help you get the amount you need to get your life back to normal; as much as possible. 

In worst-case scenarios, an accident abroad can sadly leave the victim with life changing injuries. But most holiday accidents will hopefully only cause a minor inconvenience to your life. Whatever your situation, we can help you.

If you booked a package holiday through a tour operator based in the UK, then they are responsible for:

  • An accident in the hotel or resort you’re staying in e.g. slipping on a wet floor
  • An accident while on a trip or excursion booked through the tour operator
  • A car accident whilst driving a rented car, or while on a coach transfer booked by the tour operator
  • An accident on an airline or cruise ship

For accidents that happen on a cruise ship or aeroplane, you could claim against the cruise ship operator or the airline. But the law surrounding these types of claims can get complicated, so it’s best to get legal advice from a specialist Holiday Claims Solicitor. When we have reviewed the details of your accident, we can tell you whether or not you can make a claim.

Sometimes, there can be situations where you need to take legal action against a foreign defendant overseas. For example, if you were injured in a car accident abroad.

Our Holiday Claims Solicitors are specialists at dealing with overseas holiday accident claims, so we can help you through the entire process, making it as stress free for you as possible.

Of course, there’s always a chance that your tour operator, cruise operator or airline will offer some form of compensation before you’ve even spoken to a Solicitor. We recommend not accepting any offers of compensation until you’ve spoken with a Holiday Claims Solicitor, as there’s a risk that their offer will be lower than what you could be awarded with our help.

In our experience, a compensation offer from a tour operator, cruise ship or airline is unlikely to fully reflect your immediate and future needs, circumstances and the scale of what happened to you. But by claiming with the help of our Solicitors, you’ll be in a much stronger position to understand the true value of your claim, and receive all of the compensation you’re entitled to.

If you’re a UK resident, you have three years from the date of your holiday accident in which to make a claim. But this time limit can vary depending on the local law of the country where the accident took place.

Our Holiday Claims Solicitors have a network of overseas Lawyers that we regularly work with. So we can negotiate through these Lawyers on your behalf, and advise you on how much compensation to expect and the likely timescales.

The length of time will also vary depending on the severity of your injuries and how complex your case is. For example, if the other party is denying responsibility and the case needs to go to Court, it can take longer to settle. However, only about 1% of personal injury claims in the UK reach Trial.

Most of our holiday accident claims are funded through a No Win, No Fee agreement. This means you won’t pay anything unless we’re successful in getting you compensation.

If you’ve got Legal Expenses Insurance through an insurance policy, such as your travel, house or car insurance, then you might already be covered under this policy. One of our Solicitors can go through this with you if you’re unsure.

Contact our leading Personal Injury Team specialising in Travel Claims Today

Fill in your details and one of our team will call you back or call us now on 0808 239 7911

This data will only be used by Simpson Millar in accordance with our Privacy Policy for processing your query and for no other purpose