Businesses holding your personal data are legally required to keep it safe under Data Protection regulations, including the Data Protection Act 2018 (DPA) and UK GDPR.
But what if a company fails to protect your data?
Unfortunately, we know that there are instances where even the most established businesses have failed to keep their users’ information safe. If you’ve been affected, you could be entitled to compensation.
If you’re worried about the cost of making a claim, get in touch with our specialist Data Protection Solicitors for a free assessment of your situation or read on to find out more.
How Much Will I pay for a Data Breach Claim?
A data breach can be all consuming and it’s easy to feel helpless and defeated while you’re in the midst of it.
You might be wondering if making a claim will be worthwhile, especially if you’ve suffered financially as a result of your data being breached. But the cost of making a claim shouldn’t get in the way of you getting the compensation you’re entitled to.
Here’s how our Data Solicitors can help you:
- You can speak to our expert Data Solicitors for free as part of an initial assessment to find out how we can help you. We’ll explain all our fees so you won’t be surprised by any additional costs later on.
- We work on a No Win, No Fee basis so you don’t have to worry about paying us anything unless your claim is successful.
- If we’re successful in getting you an award of compensation, we’ll ask for a contribution to your legal costs. This will be taken from the settlement you receive so you won’t need to worry about finding this money yourself.
For more information on pricing that is tailored to your situation, get in touch with our Data Protection Solicitors.
What can I Claim Data Breach Compensation for?
It’s a common misconception that you need to have lost money to make a data breach claim. In reality, there are a range of factors that will be considered in any claim for compensation, including:
- Violation of privacy – if any data that is personal to you, such as your name, email address, or home address has been taken, published or misused without your consent.
- Financial loss – if you’ve suffered monetary losses as a result of identity theft (people using your details to apply for credit or create fraudulent accounts) or from a criminal accessing your existing bank accounts.
- Emotional distress – if you’ve suffered emotionally because of your data being breached.
How Much Could I get From a Data Breach Claim?
This will ultimately depend on the impact the data breach has had on you in all of the areas we’ve listed above.
Our Data Protection Solicitors will listen to the circumstances around your data being breached and let you know how much compensation we think you could be entitled to.
For free legal advice call our Professional Negligence Solicitors
We're happy to help
Monday to Friday 8:30am-7:00pm
0808 239 9426
We're happy to call you
Simply click below to arrange a call
Simpson Millar Solicitors are a national law firm with over 500 staff and offices in Billingham, Bristol, Cardiff, Catterick, Lancaster, Leeds, Liverpool, London and Manchester.