Debenhams Staff Could Claim up to £4,352
If you found out after 6th April 2021 that you were being made redundant by Debenhams and you weren’t consulted on your redundancy you could make a Protective Award Claim of up to £4,352.
We're already helping many of your old colleagues to make a Protective Award Claim and we can help you too.
We take on all Debenhams Protective Award Claims on a No Win, No Fee basis and making a claim won’t affect any holiday, notice or redundancy pay owed to you either.
Use our Eligibility Checker to see if you can make a Protective Award Claim now.
What is a Protective Award Claim?
A Protective Award Claim can be made when:
- Your employer makes more than 20 people redundant from the same location and
- They don’t follow the right, legally required redundancy processes
As long as you meet these two criteria and you’ve not been given notice of redundancy by Debenhams before 6th April 2021, then you could make a Protective Award Claim.
How Much Could I Claim?
You could claim up to 90 days’ pay when making a Protective Award, but there is a cap on the amount you can claim from the Insolvency Service. This is a maximum of 8 weeks’ pay with a cap of £544 a week (from 5th April 2021). Your total award could be up to £4,352, but this will be based on your weekly wage.
How Long Do I Have to Make a Protective Award Claim?
You only have 3 months, less one day, from the date you were made redundant to make a Protective Award Claim, so we can only help Debenhams staff who lost their job after 6th April 2021.
How Do I Make a Protective Award Claim?
You can do this yourself, but there are a number of steps you’ll need to go through and timelines you’ll need to stick to. Alternatively, we can manage the claims process for you.
- Check that you’re eligible – use our checker to make sure you can claim. Remember, if you’ve been consulted about your redundancy or were given notice of redundancy before, you may not be able to claim
- Get Permission from Administrators – you can’t make a claim without this. FRP Advisory are the administrators
- File a Claim at the Employment Tribunal – before you can file a claim with the Employment Tribunal, you’ll need to complete ACAS Early Conciliation. This is a process to try to settle claims before they get to Tribunal. You’ll get your form approved and move on to the hearing.
- Employment Tribunal Judgment – you must have a judgment from the Employment Tribunal to show that you weren’t properly consulted about your redundancy. This must include either your name or your job title.
- Get Your Protective Award Claim – the Insolvency Service will pay your claim, if the company can’t. It’s a government organisation to support people who’ve lost their jobs when their employer becomes insolvent.
Let Simpson Millar Help You
We’re already helping many other Debenhams staff to make a Protective Award Claim and we’re also helping all the other Arcadia staff who recently lost their jobs after the sale of Topshop, Topman, Miss Selfridge, Dorothy Perkins and Burton to online retailers ASOS and Boohoo.
We won’t take any fees upfront, and we’ll agree a percentage fee with you when we take on your claim.
If you haven’t been consulted on your redundancy or you were given redundancy notice after 6th April 2021, use our eligibility checker to see if you could make a Protective Award Claim.
Get in touch with our Employment Solicitors
We're happy to help
Monday to Friday 8:30am-7:00pm
08002 605 010
We're happy to call you
Simply click below to arrange a call
Simpson Millar Solicitors are a national law firm with over 500 staff and offices in Billingham, Bristol, Cardiff, Catterick, Lancaster, Leeds, Liverpool, London and Manchester.