Can You Negotiate Conveyancing Fees?
You can try to negotiate conveyancing fees but generally, if a quote looks comparatively ‘cheap’ or a firm is willing to discount, you may find what looks like a short-term gain actually costs you in the end.
A reputable, skilled Conveyancer who provides good client care will value their services and charge accordingly.
A discounted or cheap fee may mean you don’t get the advice and service you expect, want, or need during what can be a stressful time. And in some cases, when you come to sell, you might find unexpected problems because your Conveyancer wasn’t sufficiently experienced or had taken on too many cases at too low a price.
For most people, a property is the most expensive type of asset they’ll ever own as well as somewhere that has much wider importance to them and their family as an investment or much loved home. So having the right advice and guidance is worth paying for.
Our Fixed Fee Conveyancing Quote means that you’ll know exactly how much you’ll pay before you even instruct us based on the information provided. If anything changes or new information comes to light that means additional work might be needed to protect you and any mortgage lender, we’ll let you know and discuss any additional costs before going ahead.
Any extra costs will always be fair and fixed price so you can budget with certainty.
Unlike many other firms, when you instruct our Conveyancers at Simpson Millar, we will always be open and honest with you about our fees and any potential additional costs so you won’t have to worry about any nasty surprises further down the line.
And if the worst should happen, you have the peace of mind of our No Sale, No Fee and Search Pledge promises.
Don't just take our word for it...
What Can Affect the Cost of Conveyancing?
This will depend on a number of things including:
- The property value
- If you’re buying, selling or both
- If you need additional property searches, for example in some areas you might need flood searches or coal mining searches
- Whether the title to the property is already registered at HM Land Registry
- How much Land Tax you are liable to pay
- Whether you have any mortgage(s)
- If you use a Help to Buy Scheme
- If you’re buying a Leasehold, New Build or Shared Ownership property
You can compare conveyancing quotes to get a good idea of how much your move will cost. This should give you a general idea, and then you can look into reviews and the small print to make sure you understand exactly what is and isn’t included in the quote and the type of service and expertise offered.
Our Conveyancing Quote includes your legal fees, Land Tax return costs and disbursements together with any additional fees you’ll pay to third parties, such as HM Land Registry.
How Can I Save on Moving Costs?
You could save money when moving home if you:
- Choose a Conveyancer Offering Fixed Fees - This way you know how much you’ll pay and can budget for your move
- Consider Different Removal Options - Renting the vehicle and putting in the leg work yourself will be a lot more affordable than having someone pack up the whole house and do it for you, but prices and the services offered will vary so make sure you compare like for like
- Use a Mortgage Broker - Some lenders have broker only special deals that you can’t access yourself
- Shop around for Home Insurance - Your mortgage lender or broker may offer home insurance and whilst it might be the easier option, you’ll likely get a cheaper deal if you shop around
- Get a No Sale, No Fee Guarantee - At Simpson Millar we offer a No Sale, No Fee guarantee, which means if you don’t exchange and complete on your property sale or purchase because of adverse search results or issues with the title of the property, we won’t charge you for any of the legal work we’ve completed so far. This gives you the reassurance that if things don’t work out, you won’t have a large bill to pay
- Make Use of our Search Pledge - Our Search Pledge means if your purchase falls through, we’ll complete your next set of searches free of charge
The cost of moving home can vary, but it’s important to know what’s worth spending the money on and where you can save. If you choose to instruct our Conveyancing Solicitors you can be sure we will always be upfront and honest about our fees.
Simpson Millar Solicitors are a national law firm with over 500 staff and offices in Billingham, Bristol, Cardiff, Catterick, Lancaster, Leeds, Liverpool, London and Manchester.