As the holidays approach and reminders of Christmas are scattered throughout the streets in every shop and restaurant and throughout the TV programmes and adverts, we want to share our thoughts on the difficulties many face during this period, and how you can look after yourself and others.
The holidays can be a time for joy and celebration, but as many of our staff and clients know, it can also be a time of great difficulty for any number of reasons. For many of the survivors and victims of abuse we represent and support, Christmas can be tainted with the possibility of seeing abusers, family estrangement, or returning to settings of abuse. For our clients across other departments, the festive period can also be a time of loneliness, anxiety and enormous pressure, even if they’re surrounded by loved ones.
At Simpson Millar, we feel strongly about supporting our clients holistically. For many, this means helping them find support outside of their legal matters which we are helping resolve, even if it’s just for a quick conversation. While regular support networks can be interrupted at Christmas, you can still access support, information and advice through a number of organisations.
If you’re concerned about someone who you think could be vulnerable around the holidays, or you need some extra support yourself, the following charities offer help, advice, and online resources:
- Samaritans– open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year www.samaritans.org 116123 (freephone)
- CALM (The Campaign Against Living Miserably) is known for supporting male mental health, however, they will support anybody who needs them. Their helpline is open 5pm- midnight, 365 days a year. https://www.thecalmzone.net/ 0800 58 58 58
- Papyrus – Suicide Prevention Charity – open 9am – midnight every day of the year www.papyrus-uk.org Call 0800 068 4141 or Text 07860 039967
- The Survivors’ Trust – an umbrella agency for specialist rape and sexual abuse services The Survivors Trust
- Hub of Hope – a database of Mental Health Services thought the UK https://hubofhope.co.uk
- Cruse – for those struggling with bereavement https://www.cruse.org.uk/ 0808 808 1677 (Limited opening hours over Christmas and the new Year)
- There is also a there are a huge amount of valuable resources including a support line which can be fine through the NAPAC website. NAPAC – supporting recovery from childhood abuse www.napac.org.uk
There is help out there if you need it during the festive period and hopefully this will help to signpost some organisations.
Get in touch, today!
Fill in the form below to get in touch with one of our dedicated team members, or call our team today on: 0808 239 1287