Special Educational Needs and Secondary School Admissions Advice

Following the March 1st deadline for secondary school admissions, many parents may be considering their right of appeal if they haven’t got their first-choice place for September 2019.

But for parents of children who have an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP) to meet their Special Educational Needs (SEN), it’s important to know that the standard secondary school admissions process does not apply.

For legal advice get in touch with our Education Solicitors and SEN Lawyers.

Call us on 08002605010 or request a callback and we will help you.

Secondary School Placement for Children with an EHCP

Parents of children who have an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP) aren’t required to make an application for secondary school places to their Local Authority in the normal admissions round, as the question of secondary school placements for these children should be addressed through a transition review of their EHCP.

Transition Review of EHCP

The Local Authority must issue the Final EHCP, for secondary school admissions, to parents by the statutory deadline of February 15th.

In Section I of this transition EHCP, the Local Authority must name the secondary school the child will attend from the upcoming September, as well as their current placement. If you aren’t happy with the school named, you can register an appeal to the First-tier Tribunal (Special Educational Needs and Disability SEND Tribunal). You cannot appeal through the normal admission appeals process.

If your Local Authority hasn’t issued your transition EHC Plan by this date, then our Education Solicitors and SEN Lawyers can offer legal advice on what steps can now be taken, including the option of a potential claim for Judicial Review against the Local Authority for missing this deadline. Any such application needs to be made quickly (within three months) so it’s important to contact us as soon as possible so we can advise on the options and next steps to take to make sure your child has an appropriate secondary school placement that can meet their SEN.


If your child has SEN but doesn’t have an EHC Plan, then you’ll have been asked to instead apply for a secondary school place through the normal admissions process. In these cases, parents will need to have applied directly to the Admissions Authority, which is either the school or Local Authority depending on what type of school it is.

If you aren’t happy with the placement allocated to your child, you will appeal through the normal admission appeals process, and not the Tribunal process, and our specialist Education Lawyers can assist you with this.

School Place Available

A school must offer a place when they receive a parents’ application regardless of whether the child does or doesn’t have any SEN. This requirement doesn’t apply if a child is over compulsory school age and has had 2 or more permanent exclusions within the past 2 years and the child was not reinstated following a permanent exclusion.

Not Enough School Places to Meet Demand

Schools will need to apply their over-subscription criteria to the applications for that school. If your child has specific medical or social needs that could relate to a SEN, it may have been possible to apply for a place under a school’s ‘medical and social needs’ criteria, if they have one (not all schools do). In doing so, it’s important that, by the time of your application, you’ve provided up-to-date evidence to show why the school you are requesting can meet those needs, and you may want to provide further evidence during the appeal process.

The Admissions Authority, when determining applications, will initially need to decide if they will allow a child to be given higher priority under this criteria (so long as the over-subscription criteria allows it). If they agree, then your application will be considered in line with the school’s other over-subscription criteria.

What to Do Next

If you’re a parent of a child who has SEN, either with or without an EHC Plan, and are unhappy with their secondary school placement and you would like help on appealing this decision, then get in touch with our specialist Education Solicitors and SEN Lawyers.

For legal advice call our Education Solicitors

We're happy to help

Monday to Friday 8:30am-7:00pm

08002 605 010

08002 605 010

We're happy to call you

Simply click below to make an enquiry

Request a Call Back

Request a Callback

This data will only be used by Simpson Millar in accordance with our Privacy Policy for processing your query and for no other purpose

Simpson Millar Solicitors are a national law firm with over 500 staff and offices in Billingham, Bristol, Cardiff, Catterick, Lancaster, Leeds, Liverpool, London and Manchester.