Emma Brooksbank -
Partner, Head of Immigration
T: 0345 357 9071 or 0113 306 2881
F: 0345 357 9199
Based in: Leeds
Emma Brooksbank joined Simpson Millar LLP in December 2014 as an Associate Solicitor in Leeds and was made a Partner in August 2016. Emma works as an Immigration Solicitor and runs the Immigration Department from Simpson Millar's Leeds Office.
Emma set up the Immigration Department for Simpson Millar in Leeds, expanded the Department in Manchester and has most recently launched a new branch of the Department in Bristol. Under Emma's leadership, Simpson Millar Immigration has established itself as a leader in the field with a national and international immigration presence.
Emma has specialised in immigration law for over 10 years. She advises and assists commercial, higher education and individual clients in all areas of immigration including Tier 1, Tier 2 and Tier 4 of the Points Based System, entry clearance, settlement, EEA law, asylum and human rights.
She has established close links with regional universities and acts on behalf of international students and international staff from those organisations.
She acts for a number of local authorities, particularly as an immigration expert in family and care cases.
Emma has attracted key corporate clients to Simpson Millar's Immigration Department and has acted for them to secure and protect their ability to grow their business with vital, highly skilled workers from overseas.
Emma has particular expertise in navigating the Points Based System of the Immigration Rules and specialises in commercial immigration matters, acting for businesses and higher education providers.
Quoted in Chambers and Partners 2017 as 'one to watch': Emma Brooksbank of Simpson Millar LLP focuses on commercial immigration matters and regularly undertakes Tier 1, Tier 2 and Tier 5 related work. 'Emma is knowledgeable, extremely competent and displays an excellent attitude towards her clients,' comments one source.
Emma is recommended in the Legal 500 United Kingdom 2017 edition. ‘Emma Brooksbank heads the immigration practice; her clients include the University of Leeds, which she has been advising on Tier 2 and Tier 5 applications, including an application for leave to remain under Tier 2 for a Syrian national employed by the university. Other key work included acting for care home operator Villa Care Limited in Judicial Review proceedings challenging the Home Office’s decision to revoke the client’s sponsor’s licence and seeking the reinstatement of the licence and Tier 2 visas for three employees.extremely helpful'
Emma has expertise in all areas of immigration law including the following:
- Tier 1 Applications - for Entrepreneurs and Graduate Entrepreneurs who are intending to set up, join or take over a business in the United Kingdom
- Tier 2 – Business Immigration
- Working with employers to secure their Tier 2 licence - to recruit overseas nationals to meet their business workforce requirements. Emma specialises in commercial immigration work and acts for numerous commercial clients. She is the key Tier 2 and Tier 5 advisor to one of the UK's leading universities
- Supporting employers in meeting their ongoing Sponsor Licence duties - by undertaking comprehensive audits of in-house reporting and record keeping process and providing clear compliance recommendations
- Challenging and preventing compliance issues such as the loss of a sponsor's licence or a civil penalty - should an employer fall into difficulties with employing overseas nationals
- Tier 2 – Sponsored Workers - entry clearance and leave to remain applications - for employees intending to work in highly skilled occupations for a UK business
- Tier 4 - Studying In The UK - acting for education providers to secure and protect their licence and students to secure entry clearance or leave to remain under Tier 4 of the Points Based System. Emma has acted for one of UK's key providers of specialist training having received instructions directly from the overseas Embassy for specialist support for their nationals who were sponsored by the Embassy to study in the UK
- Tier 5 - for people intending to stay in the United Kingdom on a temporary basis - under the youth mobility scheme, to undertake volunteer work for a charity or for a short term post with a University
- European applications for EEA nationals - particularly those seeking permanent residence and British Citizenship. Emma has advised the higher education sector on the impact of the Brexit decision for their European staff and has provided advice and application support to UK businesses seeking to secure and support their current European workforce
- Appeals and judicial reviews - Providing representation to the Upper and First Tier Tribunal on appeal and running complex judicial review matters
Emma has led the way in establishing Simpson Millar's Immigration Department's pro bono programme. She acts as an expert for the Manuel Bravo Project. She was the first mentor for the Street Leeds Project in collaboration with BPP University, the University of Leeds, Leeds Beckett's University and the University of Law. She provides specialist training to the Refugee Council, undertakes pro bono work for The Salvation Army and is supporter of The Red Cross.
Emma is involved in campaigning for policy change and is currently working on a campaign to change the requirement for European nationals to have held Comprehensive Sickness Insurance which is creating real difficulties for European students and self sufficient people in the UK. With Ashley Stothard, Emma set up the Brexit Update which provides free email updates on Brexit and European Law related matters.
Emma runs a free legal clinic at Simpson Millar's Leeds Office, every Monday at 10am.
Emma is a trustee on the board of PAFRAS
Interior design, music, running and cycling