Simpson Millar LLP charity support
Simpson Millar LLP actively support charities throughout the UK and detailed below
are just some of our recent activities:
Communication Workers Union Humanitarian Aid (CWUHA)
The CWUHA is the response to the plight of vulnerable children in other countries
and the UK from trade unionists, families and friends, who work in Britain’s postal
and telecom industries. Simpson Millar LLP has been a proud sponsor of the CWUHA
charity for many years and regularly participates in convoys delivering aid directly
to the children.
It has just been announced that the 2012 Convoy will be heading off to Lithuania to deliver vital aid to "Duok Ranka" day care centre. If you would like to help please find out more info here.
Find out more about the
CWUHA 2011 Bulgaria Convoy here.
All of the monies required to purchase the aid for Simpson Millar LLP's sponsored
vehicle are obtained by the fund raising events of the firm eg raffles and dress
down days. The work undertaken is all done on a voluntary basis and is extremely
Just a Drop
Simpson Millar are proud to sponsor the Just a Drop charity as it provides invaluable
help and assistance to families in the developing world. The Just a Drop charity
ensures that families have clean and accessible water and gives many a fighting
chance of enjoying their lives and avoiding sickness due to unsanitary drinking
water. Find out more about this charity
Recent and upcoming charitable events include:
- London Legal Aid Walk
- CWUHA Manchester Charity Run
- Neurocare Head Start 5k Charity Run
- London Marathon 2011 - Patrick Booth from
our Leeds office is taking part in the London Marathon raising money for Osteoporosis
- The Great North Run - Gary Tierney from our London office recently took part in
this event to raise money for an Alzheimers charity. He has raised over £1,000
- CWUHA Moldova Convoy
- Help for Heroes - Mountain Climb - On 16 November, Allison Chatto, Head of Debt
Recovery at Simpson Millar LLP climbed Helvellyn in aid of the "Help for Heroes"
charity. The Help for Heroes charity was set up to help wounded Servicemen and women
returning from Afghanistan and Iraq. Allison climbed the Helvellyn mountain, which
is the 3rd highest peak in both the Lake District and England (950 Metres / 3,117
ft) along with policemen and other ex-servicemen to raise money for the charity.
The climb was tough due to the pouring rain but Allison said: "I would definitely
do it again, but would prefer a nice dry spring day!". Further information regarding
the charity can be found on their website: www.helpforheroes.org.uk
- The Brain and Spine Foundation - Flora London Marathon Sponsorship - We were proud
to be the main corporate sponsor for the Brain and Spine Foundation's Flora
London Marathon Team. Breda Cronin from our Cardiff was part of the
team running the marathon, find out more about the
Brain and Spine Foundation and our London Marathon here.
- CWUHA - In a bid to raise funds for the September convoy and other special projects
supported by the CWUHA, Amanda Davis took part in the Manchester to Oxford Sponsored
- Coast to Coast Cycle Challenge 2009 - Adrian Fawden and Neil Fearn successfully
completed the Coast to Coast Cycle Challenge on 3-4 October. They cycled a 134 miles
over 1 and a half days from Whitehaven in Cumbria across to Sunderland on the east
coast. Together with around 50 other competitors, including the athlete Steve Cram,
they faced appalling weather on Saturday and despite being a two-man team (instead
of a three) they came 4th in the race which I’m sure you will all agree is a fantastic
achievement. They raised lots of money for charity and felt the whole experience
was thoroughly rewarding.
- CWUHA 2009 Convoy to Bulgaria - Amanda Davis along with colleague Sean Innes have
embarked on the 2009 convoy to provide essential aid to children and families in
Bulgaria - check out their blog here http://simpsonmillar-cwuha-convoy2009.blogspot.com/
- Clumber Park Bike Challenge Sunday 12th July 2009 - in aid of the CWUHA - Daniel
Thompson, Sean Innes, Ben Ritson, Craig Jones, Neil Fearn, Daron Winter, Warren
Moores, Natalie Starkie and Kate Varley are taking parting in this event. You can
sponsor them at
- Yorkshire 3 Peaks Challenge 20 June 2009 - James Mann completed the challenge on
behalf of the Stroke Association
- Great Manchester 10k Run 17 May 2009 - Gary Tierney ran the distance dressed in
a sumo suit
- CWUHA 2008 Convoy to Bulgaria - Peter Watson along with colleague and solicitor
Ricki James drove a truck full of food, clothes, wheelchairs and incubators to children
in Bulgaria in conjunction with the CWUHA - You can read about their experience
on Peter's CWUHA Convoy
blog - 5-21 September 2008
- Great Manchester Run (18 May 2008) - Managing Partner, Peter Watson and Ruth Magee,
Lisa Wright, Janice Gilbert, Mark Kelly and James Blower dressed as Sumo Wrestlers
and completed the Run to raise money for the CWUHA
- Charity Auction (April 2008) - We hold an annual auction of unwanted christmas presents
and all proceeds go to the CWUHA. This year we raised £585.
Further information on the CWUHA can be found at http://www.cwuha.org.
The British Lung Foundation
Simpson Millar LLP is proud to sponsor the British Lung Foundation and often supports
"Action Mesothelioma Day".
The British Lung Foundation is a UK charity working for everyone affected by lung
disease. They focus resources on providing support for people affected by lung disease
today; and work in a variety of ways, including funding world-class research, to
bring about positive change, to improve treatment, care and support for people affected
by lung disease now and in the future.
We recently raised £110 on Action Mesothelioma Day for the British Lung Foundation.
Other charitable events
- We held a Giant Easter Egg hunt and raised £80 for CWUHA
- We recently raised £170.17 towards the British Heart Foundation
- Employees at Simpson Millar LLP recently took part in a sponsored walk to raise
money for a former colleague, Alexis Webb, who worked in our London Office. On the
17 December 2007 Alexis suffered a critical illness including a stroke which has
left her paralysed on one side of her body. The money raised will help with Alexis'
medical care. Hopefully with the help of physio, and the support of her family Alexis
will be able to walk again. Our thoughts are with Alexis at this difficult time.
- Indy Dosanjh from our Leeds Office ran 3 miles for Sports Relief on 16 March 2008;
raising over £100 pounds for the charity
- Simpson Millar LLP recently raised £122.35 for the RNLI with a fundraiser and sweepstake
- Each week members of staff donate £2 to dress in casual wear. The money is given
to a designated charity each month. So far this year we have donated money to:
- Jeans 4 Genes (recently raised £111.16)
- Somalia Famine Appeal (recently raised £135.40)
- Hats for Headway (recently raised £130)
- Kids Company (recently raised £140)
- Children in Need (recently raised £223.25)
- Breast Cancer Care
- The Law Society Zimbabwe Fund
- RNLI SOS Day (recently raised £187.60)
- Wear it Pink - Breast Cancer Campaign (recently raised £169.55)
Disclaimer: No information on this website shall be construed as
legal advice and information is offered for information purposes only. You should
always seek advice from an appropriately qualified solicitor on any specific legal
enquiry. Calls to or from our legal helpline may be recorded for training and monitoring
External links are provided for your convenience, but they are beyond the control
of Simpson Millar LLP Solicitors and no representation is made as to their content.
Use or reliance on any external links and the content thereon provided is at your