- Free consultations with our Medical Negligence specialists
- Approved by the Legal Services Commission
When Medical Care goes Wrong
Simpson Millar LLP's solicitors know only too well
- thousands of people have suffered due to Medical Negligence
(also known as Clinical Negligence) in the UK, and that
- there are approximately 850,000 medical accidents
in UK hospitals each year, half of which could
have been avoided (source: Department of Health)
Types of medical negligence claims
We have made successful claims for clients in a variety of areas which include:
Medical negligence compensation advice
Medical Negligence is a highly specialist area of law and we would
advise you to:
- instruct an experienced solicitor as the doctor/health authority will have a team of specialist advisers in place
to represent them
- Simpson Millar LLP Solicitors employ some of the UK’s leading Medical Negligence
- our specialist team has recovered millions of
pounds in compensation for victims of Medical
What has to be proven?
To make a successful claim the
law requires you to prove:
- the standard of care you received fell below that
of a reasonably competent health care professional in the relevant area of medicine,
- you have suffered a physical or mental injury as a direct
result of that action or inaction
Before making a medical negligence compensation claim we will talk to you about
NHS Complaints procedure as it may be necessary for you to submit a complaint
before pursuing a compensation claim. We can advise you on the procedure and review
the outcome of a complaint.
If you feel that you, a member of your family, a friend or colleague are a victim
of Medical Negligence why not call us now for a free consultation with one of our
specialist solicitors on freephone: 0808 129 3320?
Funding the claim:
- legal Aid - also known as Public Funding
- legal expenses insurance, and
- conditional fee agreements are available in some cases
We have a Legal Aid Franchise which means that we have been approved
to carry out this work by the Legal Services Commission, one of only a small number
of firms to have this specialism. We can make an immediate application
for Legal Aid (subject to financial eligibility).
Strict time limits apply for making claims so you should not delay in seeking professional
- Statutory limitation period of 3 years – running either from the
date of the incident or from the “date of
- If the date of knowledge is unidentifiable, assume that the 3 year period runs from
the date of the incident
The limitation period may in certain cases extend
- If an injured person suffers from a temporary mental disability
then time does not start to run until mental capacity has returned
- Those aged under 18 years, the 3 year period
does not start running until their 18th birthday
- If settlement of the claim is not reached or application
for legal action for damages issued to the Courts by the eve of the 21st birthday
then the opportunity to claim compensation is
lost unless the minor suffers mental incapacity
Although the Courts have wider powers to alter the time limits, it is not often
that the discretion is exercised.
What compensation can I claim?
Compensation claims include:
- pain and suffering
- loss of past and future earnings
- cost of care and assistance
- prescription charges and medical fees
- cost of assistance for household chores
- travelling expenses
- adapted accommodation and transport
- out of pocket expenses
- special care aids and appliances
Our specialist solicitors, (also
members of the Law Society’s Medical Negligence Panel and AVMA Solicitors Referral
Panel) can help you. We will listen to you carefully
and sympathetically and provide you with the very best legal
advice regarding your claim.
Simpson Millar LLP Solicitors has offices throughout England and Wales and you will
be referred to your local office for advice.
Please note: If your complaint relates to a
hospital in Scotland or Ireland this will fall outside
of our jurisdiction and we advise you to contact a local solicitor,
however if you now live in Scotland or Ireland and your complaint
is regarding a hospital in England or Wales we will be more than
happy to assist you.
The Legal 500 2016
"The ‘particularly diligent’ team at Simpson Millar LLP handle cerebral palsy and Erb’s palsy claims. The ‘very hardworking’ Lisa Swales was promoted to partner in 2015.
Simpson Millar LLP’s caseload includes spinal injury and Erb’s palsy claims.
Chambers and Partners 2017
"Large practice with broad capabilities. Advises on obstetric negligence and cases relating to delayed diagnosis of cancer, negligent orthopaedic surgery, dental surgery and inadequate nursing care."
"New partner Lisa Swales has recent experience in child brain injury cases. 'She always responds to my e-mails and phone calls within a matter of hours,' says one client, while commentators say that she 'fights for her client, is sensible and is on top of cases.'"
"Geoffrey Simpson-Scott is a key contact who advises clients on a range of clinical negligence cases, including misdiagnosis cases and negligent surgery matters. Often represents families at inquest."
We are proud to be appointed on Scope's Approved Legal Panel and also as a Corporate Sponsor.
Contact Us Now
Call our medical negligence compensation solicitors today on Freephone:
0808 129 3320 or use our free, no obligation, online enquiry form
to register for a call back.