When to claim compensation for a Bedsore
Have you or a family member suffered from a Pressure Sore?
In the UK's overstretched NHS and understaffed care homes and nursing homes, more
and more patients are suffering from bedsores that could – and
should – be preventable.
If you or a relative has suffered bedsores (or pressure sores)
as a result of neglect in a hospital or care home you could be
entitled to claim compensation for medical negligence.
How our experts can help you
- We offer a highly efficient and practice service
- In a manner that is sensitive and clear
Medical Negligence Claim - Case example:
Bedsores - Background Information
Bedsores cause a lot of pain and suffering and
are preventable if the correct care is given. By leaving a patient lying in the
same position for a long period of time the risk of bedsores developing significantly
The majority of bedsores – also called pressure sores – occur in
the elderly who have thinner skin and are more likely to be in
nursing care. However anyone can develop bedsores, especially those with underlying
health problems such as diabetes.
It is the caregiver's responsibility to ensure that anyone at risk of developing
bedsores receives the proper care to prevent the condition occurring. If they do
not assess the risk of bedsores properly and you or a loved one goes on to develop
bedsores whilst in their care, you may have a case to claim compensation.
These are the areas to consider:
- Did a proper assessment take place regarding the risk of developing bedsores?
- Did the person conducting the assessment document their findings in the patient's
notes or care plan?
- Did the patient receive adequate assistance in moving every 2-3 hours?
- Did medical staff/carers offer specialist pillows or other products designed to
- Did the patient receive proper, nutritious food?
- Did anyone explore the possibility of infection and take steps to prevent it?
If you or a loved one has suffered from bedsores because someone failed to undertake
any of the steps outlined above, then you may be able to claim compensation for
Give our medical negligence experts a call to discuss your bedsores compensation
claim on Freephone 0808 129 3320 or drop us an email
using our online enquiry form and we'll get in touch with