Help and Advice with Education and Schooling Requirements for children with Cerebral Palsy

If your child is diagnosed with cerebral palsy, it is important to act now to plan for their changing special educational needs (SEN).

The information below describes the issues for children with cerebral palsy and what we can do to help them.

Cerebral Palsy - Special Educational Needs - Legal Help

What is cerebral palsy?

CP is a physical disability which affects a child’s motor and sensory abilities, and is caused by brain damage before, during, or shortly after birth.

What difficulties might my child have?

There are 3 main types of cerebral palsy:

  • Spastic cerebral palsy involves muscle tightness as the main symptom
  • Athetoid, or dyskinetic cerebral palsy causes involuntary movements, because of a mix of tight and loose muscle tone
  • Ataxic cerebral palsy affects motor skills more directly, causing sufferers to have poor balance and physical coordination

As a result of one or more of these types of cerebral palsy, your child may struggle with eating and speaking, and you may notice they developer slower than expected, especially when they’re learning to walk.

What educational support does my child need?

The support depends upon the difficulties that they experience. General problems include tiredness and difficulty with tasks like using scissors and painting and as such a school may need to provide help with this. Sometimes additional support and adaptations may be needed, such as:

  • Speech therapists
  • Disabled access to the school
  • Physiotherapy
  • Psychological support if the child has behavioural and learning problems
Education Solicitors - fixed fees available

How can we help a child with cerebral palsy?

It is important to get the right support for your child. We can provide support with getting an appropriate statement of SEN, or a proper care plan.

We can also help in ensuring the statement or care plan is followed correctly, acting in the best interests of the child. We can do this by contacting the local authority or representing your child's interests at a tribunal hearing.

With our expert knowledge in educational law, combined with our understanding of your child's needs, we are able to provide a personal service. This way we are able to relieve the worry of securing an appropriate, happy education for your child.

Chambers and Partners 2017

"Stellar education team representing private and legal aid clients in a range of complex issues. Particularly well known for its expertise in assisting young adults with learning difficulties, admissions and exclusions and judicial review cases."

"Angela Jackman is an erudite education and community care lawyer with a focus on complex SEN matters. Sources say: 'Her judgement really stands out and she has great depth of experience.'"

"Head of department Imogen Jolley has a strong track record handling admissions and exclusions appeals on behalf of parents. She is described by commentators as 'very accessible, knowledgeable and easy to work with.'"

"Dan Rosenberg is praised for 'his impressive knowledge, technical nous and personability.' He is particularly adept in complex judicial review proceedings involving the provision of education to children and young people."

Find out more

Contact us now to discuss how we can help you by completing our, no obligation, online enquiry form and we will call you back or you can call us on freephone: 0808 129 3320.

Latest News

Get In Touch