Disease & Illness At Work Useful Resources

If you have suffered an illness or medical condition because of work conditions, support and advice may not be forthcoming. With employees susceptible to a range of diseases and conditions, some sufferers are unsure if there are any specialists that can provide support for their specific needs.

If you, or a loved one, have suffered a disease or illness at work, help is out there

If you, or a loved one, have suffered a disease or illness at work it is important that you are aware of the charities and organisations that are available to provide you with physical and emotional support.

The Employers' Liability Tracing Office (ELTO)

The Employers' Liability Tracing Office (ELTO) is an organisation that works to find an employer's liability insurance. The ELTO can be a vital resource when claiming compensation for a disease or illness suffered at work and can often find a company's insurance policy years after the company has stopped trading.

If your employer was to blame for you developing a disease and you are unsure if they were insured, or they have since become insolvent, the ELTO can find their insurance policy and ensure that you receive a compensation payment that helps you deal with the costs associated with your disease or illness.

Run by the insurance industry, the ELTO has helped tens of thousands of claimants receive compensation payments from the insurers of ex-employers. The work of the ELTO means that you should not be discouraged from making a compensation claim if your ex-employer has become insolvent since you were an employee, as their insurance policies at the time of your employment can provide the funds for any compensation awarded in your case.

Contact The Employers' Liability Tracing Office

Website: www.elto.org.uk
Phone: 0845 165 2805 (Mon - Fri 9am-5pm excluding Public Bank Holidays)
Email: enquiries@elto.org.uk

Health And Safety Executive (HSE)

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) was set up in the wake of the Health and Safety Act 1974, to ensure that employers were following the Act's guidelines.

Providing advice to employers and employees alike, the HSE is an informative public body that often features helpful articles on their website to ensure that employers understand their duty of care to employees.

Running investigations and inspections, the HSE can also issues notices and enforcements, as well as taking punitive action against errant employers that do not follow the Health and Safety Act's guidelines.

If you have suffered a disease or illness at work due to a lack of clear health and safety policy, then the HSE can investigate your claims and ensure that your employer is providing a safe working environment for employees.

Contact The Health and Safety Executive (HSE)

Website: www.hse.gov.uk
Phone: 0300 003 1747 (during office hours - 8.30am to 5.00pm, Monday to Friday, Wednesday 10.00am to 5.00pm)
Online Advice Form: The HSE have an online advice form for specific queries and concerns here

Industrial Injuries Payments

If you became ill or disabled because of an accident or disease suffered either at work or approved employment training then you may be eligible for Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit (IIDB).

IIDB payments could help cover some essential living costs, while a further benefit payment for your carer could cover the cost to a loved one that cares for you at least 35 hours a week.

The amount you receive in IIDB payments, and your eligibility, depends on the details of your disability or illness and an eligibility checklist outlines the types of accidents and illnesses that could result in you receiving benefit payments.

Contact GOV.UK Regarding Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit

Website: www.gov.uk/industrial-injuries-disablement-benefit/overview
Phone: 0345 603 1358 or 0345 758 5433

RSI Action

RSI Action is the UK's national charity for Repetitive Strain Injury (RSI), which is an injury that is caused by repetitive use of the upper limbs. In some cases, RSI can be avoided and RSI Action attempts to raise awareness of the condition in an attempt to facilitate the prevention of this ailment.

With RSI affecting everybody from office workers to manual handlers, RSI Action is an organisation that can provide information and support to sufferers, while local support groups and yearly meetings ensure that those affected by RSI have somewhere to turn when the pain of their condition becomes difficult to deal with.

Contact RSI Action

Website: www.rsiaction.org.uk
Email: info@rsiaction.org.uk

Scleroderma & Raynaud's UK (SRUK)

Scleroderma & Raynaud's UK (SRUK) is the only charity in the UK that is dedicated to improving the lives of people affected by Scleroderma & Raynaud's. As Vibration White Finger (VWF) – an industrial disease linked to exposing hands to severe vibrations – is a secondary form of Raynaud's syndrome, SRUK is a vital contact for employees that suffer from this condition.

The SRUK work to improve awareness of these two conditions and view their end goal as discovering a cure for Raynaud's and Scleroderma, the former of which is thought to affect up to 10 million people in the UK.

With a passionate community of sufferers, SRUK can help those who have developed VWF as a result of their work connect to other people in the same situation, ultimately developing a sufferer's understanding of their condition.

Contact Scleroderma & Raynaud's UK

Website: www.sruk.co.uk
Phone: 0800 311 2756
Email: info@sruk.co.uk

Deafness Charities

Hearing loss is a common symptom amongst workers in a variety of industries, especially when employers fail in their duty to reduce excessive noise in the workplace, or they do not offer hearing protection devices if noise reduction is not possible.

There are a variety of organisations that you and your family can turn to for information and advice if you have developed deafness as a result of your working environment. In the UK, the following charities are set up to support the deaf community:

  • The National Association of Deafened People (NADP): The NADP work to create a society in which deafened people face no barriers to full participation and communication. They hope to achieve this goal by identifying and promoting improvements to the quality of life of deafened people. If you have become deafened at work, the NADP charity can provide you with information and support to ensure that you can regain your independence
  • Website: www.nadp.org.uk
    Phone: 0845 0559663
    Email: enquiries@nadp.org.uk

  • The British Deaf Association (BDA): The BDA is the largest deaf organisation in the UK that is run by deaf people. Through their comprehensive charter, the BDA campaigns to remove direct and indirect discrimination against deaf people, bolster local deaf communities, and resolve conflicts between service providers and their deaf users. If you suffer from deafness, the events held by the BDA could help promote positive change in your local area and ensure that you can communicate in your preferred language
  • Website: www.bda.org.uk/
    Phone: 020 7697 4140
    Email: bda@bda.org.uk

  • Action On Hearing Loss: Action on Hearing Loss is the largest UK charity that helps people confront deafness, tinnitus, and hearing loss. If you have suffered hearing loss, then this charitable organisation will help you come to terms with your new condition, offer support, and ensure that you do not become isolated because of your hearing loss. Offering practical advice and day-to-day care, Action on Hearing Loss is a vital contact for those who have suffered from hearing loss
  • Website: www.actiononhearingloss.org.uk
    Phone: 0808 808 0123
    Email: informationline@hearingloss.org.uk

  • The British Tinnitus Association (BTA): The British Tinnitus Association (BTA) is an organisation that promotes support and advice about tinnitus. With much of the information supplied by the BTA being constructed by medical professionals or clinical researchers, the BTA has become a world leader in the field of tinnitus and their website is full of free advice for those who suffer from tinnitus
  • Website: www.tinnitus.org.uk
    Phone: 0800 018 0527
    Email: info@tinnitus.org.uk

If you would like to discuss an illness or disease that was caused by your working conditions, call us now on 0808 129 3320 or use our free, no obligation, online enquiry form and we will call you back.

Get In Touch

Gavin Evans | Partner &  Head of Industrial Disease | Simpson Millar LLP

Gavin Evans
Partner, Head of Industrial Disease

View profile