A Surveyor is responsible for inspecting and valuing your property correctly. If they make a mistake, this can have serious consequences for you, and could cause you to buy a property that’s worth less than you paid for it.
If you think that you’ve suffered financial loss because your Surveyor missed something, you could have a claim for compensation.
Our friendly and approachable Professional Negligence Solicitors are experts in helping people recover any financial losses if they’ve been let down by a professional who should have given a high-quality service.
Get in touch today for free initial discussion and find out how we can help you. Ask if we can handle your Professional Negligence claim on a No Win, No Fee basis.
Meet some of our Professional Negligence Solicitors
Can I Make a Claim against my Surveyor?
It can be difficult to know whether your Surveyor was in fact negligent. By looking at your case, our Professional Negligence Solicitors can tell you if you’ve got grounds to make a claim.
Surveyors provide different reports depending on property you’re buying. They are:
- A Mortgage Valuation Report
- A Homebuyer Report
- A Building Survey
These reports cost different amounts and cover a different level of detail about a property. The type of report you choose will determine what your Surveyor’s responsibilities are.
When considering whether a Surveyor has been negligent, it’s important to understand what the job was that they were hired for before getting an opinion from another Surveyor to assess the report from the first Surveyor (if they suspect negligent work).
We can sometimes use our expertise to look into your first report for signs of negligence, as well as any defects that were missed, to save you added time and money.
You Surveyor might have been negligent if they:
- Failed to notice subsidence or structural issues
- Failed to notice damp, wood, rot or asbestos
- Under or over-valued a property
If you think you’ve experienced any of the above with your Surveyor, get in touch with our Professional Negligence Solicitors to talk about your next steps.
Why Choose Simpson Millar?
- Free initial legal advice – we’ll take a look at your situation and offer expert advice tailored to your situation, with no obligation to make a claim.
- No Win, No Fee – once we know the details of your case, we’ll tell you if we can deal with it on a No Win, No Fee basis.
- Members of the Professional Negligence Lawyers Association (PNLA) – as many of our Solicitors are members of the PNLA, you can be sure that we’re in the best position to advise you on professional negligence issues.
- Specialist expertise – we have years of experience in dealing with claims against Barristers, Solicitors, Accountants and more. We can deal with all types of professional negligence and help you with your specific situation.
How do I make a Professional Negligence Claim?
- Get in touch with our friendly and approachable team and give us as much detail as you can, including the type of survey you paid for, and a copy of the survey report.
- Your Professional Negligence Solicitor will review the terms and conditions of the survey report and let you know if you’ve got a valid claim
- If we take on your case, we’ll get any other evidence we need. This may include the opinion of an impartial Surveyor, who will help us determine if the Surveyor’s report you received wasn’t up to scratch.
- We’ll send a Letter of Claim to the Surveyor, who will either accept or deny responsibility, known as
- Usually we can resolve Professional Negligence Claims out of Court, but if we do need to issue Court proceedings, we’ll guide you through the process.
We can often handle these types of claim on a No Win, No Fee basis – this means you’ll only pay our legal fees if your case is successful. We’ll talk through your funding options with you when you get in touch.
Is there a Time Limit?
You have 6 years from the date the negligence took place, or 3 years from the date you first became aware of the negligence, to make a professional negligence compensation claim.
If, for any reason, there’s a delay between the negligence and its consequences, exceptions can sometimes be made to extend the amount of time you have for making a claim. We can talk you through this if you’re not sure.
For free legal advice call our Professional Negligence Solicitors
We're happy to help
Monday to Friday 8:30am-7:00pm
08002 605 010
We're happy to call you
Simply click below to arrange a call
Simpson Millar Solicitors are a national law firm with over 500 staff and offices in Billingham, Bristol, Cardiff, Catterick, Lancaster, Leeds, Liverpool, London and Manchester.