When compensation is awarded in mesothelioma claims, our clients receive 100% of it because our success fee is paid by the defendant or its insurers and not by our clients.
We know from many previous mesothelioma cases that the trauma of such a diagnosis is only made worse if you don’t know where or how you were exposed to the asbestos that caused it.
It might have been a long time ago or the exposures to asbestos were at a low level. This uncertainty makes legal advice from an experienced Mesothelioma Solicitor vital.
We offer a Free Claims Assessment and will give you clear and practical legal advice about your rights. Your Mesothelioma Lawyer will stay in regular contact so you have updates and support throughout the claims process.
For a Free Claims Assessment get in touch with our Mesothelioma Claim Solicitors.
Meet Our Mesothelioma Claims Solicitors
We’re happy to visit our clients in their own homes (in England or Wales) and will provide high levels of support and care. For example, we can help you get any state benefits you may be eligible for and have helped clients get government support within just eight weeks of starting their claim.
We’ll work hard to settle your mesothelioma compensation claim as quickly as possible, so you can live the rest of your life comforted by the knowledge that you and your family can be provided for.
And we’ll make every effort to avoid going to Court, as we know giving evidence in the witness box can cause stress and anxiety.
Why Choose Simpson Millar for Your Mesothelioma Claim?
- We’re experts in finding out when and where people were exposed to asbestos at work that caused the mesothelioma
- Our Industrial Disease Solicitors have specialist asbestos disease accreditation from the Association of Personal Injury Lawyers (APIL)
- We’ve recovered millions of pounds in compensation for our clients
- We give clear and practical legal advice about your rights
- We stay in regular contact, so you get updates and support throughout your claim
- We tailor our service to reflect your specific needs, which we will set out at the beginning
- We partner with charities including Macmillan Cancer Support and support Action Mesothelioma Day every year
- We have an extensive database on previous mesothelioma claims against employers, as well as insurance company information. So even if you were exposed to asbestos a long time ago or if the company responsible isn’t now in business, we could still help you.
Mesothelioma Compensation - Barry's Story
Barry was exposed to asbestos while working as a heavy goods vehicle mechanic in the 1970s. After feeling breathless while on holiday, Barry was admitted to hospital and diagnosed with mesothelioma. He contacted the Industrial Disease team at Simpson Millar to claim compensation for his condition. Securing compensation has given Barry peace of mind that his wife will be financially secure, whatever the future may hold.
Mesothelioma Compensation - Ted's Story
Ted began feeling out of breath while out walking and was diagnosed with mesothelioma soon after. After becoming aware that compensation was available, Ted contacted Simpson Millar who investigated his CV to pinpoint exactly where he had been exposed to asbestos. By handling the entire claims process on Ted's behalf, our team made sure his family could relax and feel secure for years to come.
People We've Helped
Client not given PPE to stop exposure to Asbestos
After being diagnosed with Mesothelioma, we helped our client get Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit payments and a lump sum from the government which he received within 8 weeks of us being instructed, along with £200,000 in compensation within 12 months.Read Full Case Study Here
Mesothelioma Claim Settled in 6 Months
Our client was exposed to asbestos in the boiler room of a ship - he was not given any PPE by his employer to protect him at work. He received a benefits lump sum of £13,999 and Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit within 4 weeks of instructing us and got £113,000 once his claim settled.Read Full Case Study Here
What is Mesothelioma?
Mesothelioma is a cancer of the pleura, the lining of the lungs, that’s nearly always caused by asbestos exposure. The disease can also reach the lining of the abdominal cavity, around the heart and the testes. It's often the result of poor working conditions, though even minimal asbestos exposure can lead to the onset of symptoms.
There are around 2,700 new mesothelioma cases in the UK every year, according to Cancer Research’s latest estimates. Most cases are diagnosed in people aged 60-80 and men are more commonly affected than women.
Common symptoms include chest pain, shortness of breath, tiredness, weight loss and a high temperature. It can be many years before these signs start to show – usually around 30 to 40 years after the asbestos exposure.
In terms of claiming compensation, that means we often need to investigate events that happened a very long time ago. This added complexity is why it’s so important to get a specialist Mesothelioma Solicitor to represent you.
How are People Commonly Exposed to Asbestos?
Asbestos exposure leading to mesothelioma is particularly common in people who’ve worked in heavy industry such as construction and shipbuilding. But asbestos was widely used as a building material in the UK between the 1930s and mid-1980s until its health risks became apparent, so those affected can also include:
- Lorry drivers responsible for transporting raw asbestos materials
- Factory workers who produced these raw materials
- Electricians who worked with lagged pipes or equipment
- Plumbers and boiler scalers who stripped asbestos from lagging and joints
- Mechanics who serviced brakes and clutches that contained high percentages of white asbestos
- Council workers who repaired council housing with asbestos guttering and bath panels
- People who lived close to an asbestos factory
- Students and teachers at a school where asbestos materials were in poor condition
Is Secondary Asbestos Exposure Possible?
Mesothelioma can also affect family members, as they may have come into contact with harmful fibres when an exposed worker came home. This is known as secondary exposure to asbestos and is becoming a more common cause of mesothelioma.
Can I Make a Mesothelioma Claim?
If you or someone you know were exposed to asbestos and have received a mesothelioma diagnosis, you could be able to claim compensation. Claiming can provide financial security for your family’s future, facilitate a better quality of life and raise awareness of the issue itself.
How do I Prove My Mesothelioma Claim if the Exposure Happened Years Ago?
The delayed onset of mesothelioma can make it difficult to pinpoint exactly what situations or parties are to blame. But we have extensive experience and historical information relating to mesothelioma cancer claims and can provide clarity on your situation.
Often in these cases, the employer responsible for asbestos exposure is no longer trading. However, we could still help you make a claim against their historical insurance company or through a UK Government compensation scheme.
Our Mesothelioma Claim Solicitors will investigate your working history and explore every possible course of action to find the likely cause of your illness. Contact our specialists today for a Free Claims Assessment.
What Will It Cost Me to Make a Claim?
We take on mesothelioma claims on a No Win, No Fee basis. This is an arrangement between you and your Mesothelioma Lawyer and means you won’t pay any legal fees if your claim is unsuccessful. You’ll need to have suitable insurance in place, but our team can help arrange this for you.
If your claim is successful, you’ll pay us a pre-agreed success fee and any remaining legal costs not covered by the other side. Read more about how No Win, No Fee claims work.
How Much Mesothelioma Compensation Could I Receive?
Compensation amounts vary as they’re always unique to individual cases. Your mesothelioma compensation will be calculated based on factors including:
- The pain and suffering caused by your illness
- Medical treatment, sometimes including private treatment options that aren’t available through the NHS
- Ongoing care needs
- Any loss of income due to being unable to work
Your Mesothelioma Solicitor will be able to give you a more accurate idea of what your claim is worth once they learn more details about your case. Once this figure is established, our legal experts have the necessary drive and know-how to secure the full compensation your situation deserves.
Compensation amounts we’ve recently secured for our clients include:
- £100,000 compensation for family after mesothelioma death
- £275,000 compensation for work-related mesothelioma
- £190,000 compensation for Mr Lovesy following a mesothelioma diagnosis
Is There a Time Limit for Mesothelioma Asbestos Claims?
You typically have three years from the date of your diagnosis to make a mesothelioma compensation claim. There are sometimes exceptions in which claiming is allowed beyond the three-year limit.
Whether you’re confident of being within the time limit or unsure, we recommend contacting our Mesothelioma Compensation Solicitors as soon as possible. Doing so could allow you to access the compensation and care you need sooner.
Is it Possible to Make a Mesothelioma Claim After Death?
If a loved one has sadly passed away, it is possible to claim on their behalf as a dependant. You will have a time limit of three years from the date they passed to claim for mesothelioma death compensation.
How Long do Mesothelioma Claims Take to Settle?
Mesothelioma claims can take anywhere from six months to several years to settle depending on their complexity. Relevant factors include:
- How easy it is to trace your employer or their insurer
- How quickly strong evidence can be collected
- Whether the defendant admits liability or disputes your claim
- Whether your case goes to Court
Rest assured we’ll be there to support and update you every step of the way. Read more about how long it takes to get mesothelioma compensation.
How to Make a Mesothelioma Claim
- Call us for a Free Claims Assessment from a specialist Mesothelioma Solicitor. We can discuss your situation and how we can help you.
- If we take on your case, we’ll ask you to prepare a draft CV/employment history from what you can remember. We’ll also help you apply for any state benefits you may be entitled to, including Blue Badges.
- Our expert Mesothelioma Lawyers will make urgent searches to trace the insurance companies for your past employers. Even if an employer stopped trading many years ago, it’s usually still possible to find their insurance company and bring a claim against them.
- We’ll gather relevant documents that may help your case, such as old payslips, employment records, and hospital and GP medical records.
- We’ll arrange for you to have a medical assessment from at least one independent medical expert. They’ll provide a medical report detailing your illness, the likely cause and how it’s impacted your life.
- We’ll send a formal Letter of Claim setting out the details of your case to the company that exposed you or their insurance company.
- If they agree to settle and further evidence isn’t needed, your claim could be settled within six months of us taking it on. A more complex case could take longer to settle, particularly if it needs to go to Court.
What Rehabilitation and Support is Available?
We offer wide-ranging support to people making a mesothelioma cancer claim. For example:
- We work with organisations that provide a wide range of medical treatments that can be funded by making a claim. This is not available on the NHS in some cases due to the cost.
- We can help you with other elements of your life to ensure you have all the bases covered. We offer free emergency Will writing for our mesothelioma clients from our Wills and Trusts Solicitors.
- If more evidence is needed, we may place a small witness appeal in the local paper and on our website. We understand you may not want your name and personal information to be made public, so any witness appeal can be made anonymous if that’s what you would prefer.
- We can organise and set up professional counselling services and other therapies and let you know about support groups in your area.
- We can help with applying for the Government Lump Sum payment, as everyone with a mesothelioma diagnosis is entitled to this. We can also help with claiming Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit if you’re eligible. Ask us for details on this.
Simpson Millar is a proud sponsor of the Primary Care Respiratory Society (PCRS), providing NHS primary care respiratory practitioners with our expertise and insight on industrial respiratory conditions, so they can help their patients access appropriate information and advice.
Frequently asked questions
- Should I Contact a Mesothelioma Lawyer if My Doctor Says My Mesothelioma is Not Asbestos-Related?
Yes. Some doctors don’t realise you can still successfully claim mesothelioma compensation even if you were exposed to very low levels of asbestos dust.
It can also be difficult to recall your work history immediately after receiving this dreadful diagnosis, as you may not be able to think clearly.
- Should I Make a Mesothelioma Claim if My Exposures Were a Long Time Ago When the Dangers of Asbestos Were Not Known?
Yes. Our Mesothelioma Solicitors rely on the 1931 Asbestos Industry Regulations to win our cases, which pre-date the period in which asbestos products were most widely used in the UK.
- Do you provide a home visit?
- Do You Prepare Draft Statements for Checking Quickly After Your First Visit?
Yes. This is important as often people then have chemotherapy or get poorly quite quickly and don’t want to be bothered with witness evidence during this stage.
- Do You Quickly Complete all State Benefit Applications Free of Charge?
- Can You Help with an Emergency Blue Badge?
Yes. The procedure varies for lots of different regions, but our team can help wherever you are.
- Can You Obtain a Medical Diagnosis Letter from My Lung Cancer Nurse?
Yes. We can do this for you as people are often asked by other firms if they have details of their diagnosis in writing and so they shouldn’t worry about having to get this from their GP.
- Can You Ensure My Automatic Government Lump Sum Payment is Paid Within 3-5 Weeks of Diagnosis?
Yes. This is an automatic payment with a diagnosis of mesothelioma and is our main priority when you call in to speak with us about making a mesothelioma compensation claim.
We will help you secure this payment as quickly as possible and consider other state benefits you may be entitled to. Some of our clients don’t have viable civil claims as these are not automatic, so state benefit claims are hugely important as they become the only compensation available for their diagnosis.
- Can You Help if My Spouse/Partner is in Hospital With Fluid on Their Lungs and Suspected Mesothelioma, yet too Poorly for a Diagnostic Biopsy?
Yes. This is hugely important as some people are too ill to undergo a biopsy. If a specialist lung nurse or doctor suggests their condition could be due to mesothelioma, it’s sensible to speak with one of our Mesothelioma Solicitors to see how they can help.
This is because you’ll have automatic access to the Government Lump Sum Payment if it is mesothelioma. This payment is then available up to a year after the date of death.
- Is it Possible to Just Have the State Benefit Claim Completed and Not Have a Civil Claim Against Past Employers Investigated?
Mesothelioma claims are pursued against the past insurance company for your employers and so letters are often sent straight to the insurance company. This is because the past employers commonly involved in these cases have often long gone out of business.
- Is the claim against my actual past employer?
The claims are pursued against the past insurance company for your employers and so a lot of the time letters are sent straight to the insurance company. The reason for this is that often past employers have long gone out of business.
- Is it Possible to Have a Veterans Agency Claim Completed Free of Charge?ed, free of charge?
Yes. If you served in the Royal Navy, you should be always be considering a Veterans Agency Claim.
- Do You Undertake all Liability Investigations, Such as Asbestos Survey Reports, or Will I Need to?
Collecting evidence for mesothelioma cancer claims can be complex. But we’ll take care of all the necessary investigations including those required for public buildings, such as libraries, schools and hospitals so you don’t have to.
We can get asbestos surveys through the Freedom of Information Act free of charge.
- Do You Provide Help With Any Other Legal Issues or Problems?
Yes, often clients have overlapping legal problems that urgently need sorting. In our experience, this has ranged from an emergency Will to sorting out legal ownership of a property if a couple has been separated for a long time.
Your Mesothelioma Lawyer will be able to point you in the right direction when you tell them more about your legal needs.
- Can You Help With Other Issues That I May Struggle With, Such as Managing the Admin for Immunotherapy Treatment?
For our clients undergoing immunotherapy treatment in successful mesothelioma claims, we’ve secured interim payments of £50,000 - £100,000.
We’ve been able to keep back some of this payment to help pay for the treatments and prevent you from having to deal with the associated admin yourself. These treatments cannot be administered until paid for, so there is an element of urgency. Insurance companies will sometimes agree to meet the monthly costs of your treatment directly.
- Can You Help if I Need Any Aids, Equipment or Extra Nursing Care?
Yes. In two recent cases, we liaised with local hospices to find out about extra private care, as the money for such care was successfully recovered in the civil claims.
- Are You Likely to Have Acted for Other People Exposed at the Same Place as Me?
In many cases, our Mesothelioma Solicitors have acted for multiple people who have been exposed to asbestos at the same place. We have an extensive database with information on previous employers and their insurers and can search this in relation to your case to make things as easy as possible.
For free legal advice call our Personal Injury Solicitors
We're happy to help
Monday to Friday 8:30am-7:00pm
We're happy to call you
Simply click below to arrange a call
Simpson Millar Solicitors are a national law firm with over 500 staff and offices in Billingham, Bristol, Cardiff, Catterick, Lancaster, Leeds, Liverpool, London and Manchester.