YES you can claim road accident compensation against an uninsured driver or untraced driver


If you have had a road accident and the other driver was uninsured, don’t despair. There is still hope that you can claim compensation for a road accident with an uninsured driver or for a hit and run accident where the guilty party remains untraced.

In fact, recent news has said that the police are having ever more success in catching uninsured drivers thanks to their Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) technology. Properly insured drivers have their details stored on the Motor Insurance Database (MID) – the only central record of all insured vehicles in the UK - so if the police run a number plate and find that the vehicle isn’t on the MID, they are well within their powers to stop the driver.

This is great news for people across the UK but especially for those living in London, Liverpool and Manchester where there are more uninsured drivers and so more chances of having a road accident with an uninsured driver. In fact, it’s estimated that around one in every 20 drivers in the UK is uninsured.

And that’s why the MIB exists. Established in 1946, the Motor Insurers’ Bureau (MIB) is an organisation that deals with road accident compensation claims made by innocent victims who have suffered personal injury or damage to their property through an uninsured or untraced driver.

If you have had a car accident or accident with a motorbike and the guilty party was uninsured the MIB is there to pay your road accident compensation claim against an uninsured driver if you can prove your case. The MIB effectively acts as the uninsured driver’s insurer and will investigate your road accident compensation claim very vigorously.

That’s why it is in your best interest to contact a solicitor who specialises in road traffic accident compensation claims as the MIB’s rules are incredibly strict.

Useful links

News Archive

Get In Touch