UPDATE: New Illness Outbreak at the Holiday Village Majorca – Cala Millor?
UPDATE: Reports of illness at this hotel are resurfacing again today (July 2015)
Last year we reported that another First Choice Holiday Village property had succumbed to an illness outbreak, below is that story
. The hotel involved is the Holiday Village Majorca in Cala Millor
Simpson Millar LLP is representing a number of families who have suffered from illness during or following their stay at the resort. Guests of the hotel, particularly children, have suffered from severe bouts of vomiting and diarrhoea
, many requiring hospital treatment.
This Majorcan addition to First Choice’s popular and well recognised Holiday Village brand has recently undergone a major refurbishment programme
. The luxury Mediterranean style accommodation with swim-up style rooms, large lagoon style swimming pools, and built-in splash parks, mean they are extremely attractive to young families with children.
It is feared that the swimming pools are very likely to be responsible
for the illness outbreak. Families have reported seeing vomit and faeces in and around the swimming pools which has not been properly cleaned up and left for a number of days by the hotel. Some holidaymakers who did not use the swimming pools whilst they were at the resort have reported not suffering with any illness. This coupled with the reported symptoms mean that cryptosporidium is strongly suspected
to be the cause of illness.
What is Cryptosporidium?
Cryptosporidium is a protozoa or parasite which causes an infection called cryptosporidiosis
which commonly affects holidaymakers, particularly children. Cryptosporidium is most often found in poorly maintained swimming pools and jacuzzis
in holiday resorts. Holidaymakers can also get cryptosporidiosis directly from others by coming directly into contact with faeces or from consuming contaminated water.
Symptoms of cryptosporidiosis include profuse diarrhoea, stomach cramps, fever, weight loss and dehydration. Holidaymakers may often feel that they are recovering only to then suffer a recurrence of symptoms again
. A stool sample is necessary to identify the bug.
The illness is most common in young children because they spend most of their time on holiday in the swimming pool.
Cryptosporidiosis is highly infectious so if you have diarrhoea, you should avoid swimming until you have been clear of symptoms
for at least two weeks.
Tips to avoid illness
Holidaymakers are advised to take the following steps to reduce the risk of contracting cryptosporidium:
- Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and warm water before eating food and after going to the toilet or changing a baby's nappy
- Do not touch or feed stray dogs or cats
- Do not drink untreated tap water
- Avoid ice cubes
- Always peel fruits before eating them
- Avoid swallowing swimming pool water
Holidaymakers who suffer as a result of cryptosporidium whilst on a regulated package holiday can rely on the 1992 Package Travel Regulations
to claim compensation from their tour operator.
If you have recently stayed at the Holiday Village Majorca in Cala Millor
and have experienced illness symptoms similar to those described above then contact the travel team at Simpson Millar to discuss making your compensation claim.