Tenants in carbon monoxide poisoning drama – boiler engineer fined

Dated:   

A mother and her six-year-old daughter were "severely" affected by carbon monoxide poisoning after the gas boiler in their rented home was said to be 'safe' but was anything but.

A boiler engineer who tested the gas boiler on 3 occasions declared it to be safe and posing no risk of carbon monoxide poisoning. The landlords of the property, who were warned that the boiler needed a full service, also failed to act.

As a result both the engineer and the landlords have been fined a total of £19,000 between them.

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) stepped in to prosecute after Motoko Riley and her daughter Emily suffered headaches, vomiting and bouts of unconsciousness due to the toxic carbon monoxide gas, which can be fatal.

Ray Kelly, a HSE inspector, said: "The dangers associated with carbon monoxide exposure are well known. The landlords knew there were problems with ventilation at the property and failed to service the central heating boiler appropriately."

To prevent carbon monoxide poisoning, landlords must ensure that all gas appliances in their properties are serviced at least once a year by qualified engineers from the Gas Safe Register. The tenants should then be given the gas safety certificate.

Useful links



To find out how we could help you please make a no-obligation enquiry or call freephone: 0808 129 3320.




News Archive


Get In Touch