Mesothelioma Death From Contaminated Clothing Leads To The Courts

Dated:

According to the Gazette Live, a family has opted for legal action following the death of a woman who regularly inhaled asbestos fibres on her husband's work clothes.

Asbestos dust hazards can lead to mesothelioma
Mary Pointer, from Skelton in Lancashire, died from mesothelioma, an aggressive cancer that attacks the lining of the lungs.

The 86-year-old passed in April last year, since then her son has appointed a solicitors' firm to look into Mrs Pointer's exposure to asbestos.

Overalls and bedclothes covered in asbestos dust

Before she died Mrs Pointer said she became ill due to persistent inhalation of asbestos dust whenever she washed her husband's work clothes and the couple's bedlinen.

Mr Pointer, who was employed for some 15 years in the boiler room of the CEGB Marchwood Power Station near Southampton, died aged 85 in 1999. After 1970 he worked in the plant's turbine room.

Action against E.ON

Following privatisation of the Central Electricity Generating Board in the late 80s, Marchwood was taken over by Powergen. The company is now more familiarly known as E.ON, against which Mr and Mrs Pointer's family are now pursuing their action.

Asbestos exposure has been identified as the main cause of mesothelioma, the symptoms of which can take many years to show themselves.

"No warning about hazards"

Darryl Pointer, 50, said his mother had never been warned of how hazardous asbestos could be. "[She] shouldn’t have been in a position to be exposed to the deadly dust," he said.

"We hope that by issuing court proceedings we will be able to secure justice for her and honour her memory after losing her in such a terrible way."

A spokesperson for E.ON confirmed the legal action but declined to comment further.

Long-term nature of the disease is challenging

Simpson Millar's Emma Costin, an expert in industrial disease, said: "Whilst we are not acting for this claimant this article goes to highlight that mesothelioma's long latency period presents a challenge for sufferers of the disease."

"Although death often follows relatively soon after diagnosis, as much as 50 years can elapse after first exposure before the symptoms of this dreadful condition appear," Emma said.

"For this reason it's frequently difficult to trace who or what is liable, as over the years firms and their insurers tend to come and go."

"If you or your loved ones are afflicted by mesothelioma, it's crucially important to consult a legal team who specialise in the intricacies of workplace injury law."




News Archive


Get In Touch