Landlord prosecuted for deadly carbon monoxide leaks

Dated:   

A Staffordshire landlord has been prosecuted after one of his tenants died from carbon monoxide poisoning.

The landlord is a member of a family business that owns and rents out properties in Burton-on-Trent in Staffordshire. He became the subject of an investigation by the Health and Safety Executive when an elderly single man renting one of his flats died in February 2006 due to carbon monoxide leak.

The investigation revealed that out of 12 properties let by the landlord, 9 had gas appliances fitted, but only 2 had current Landlord Gas Safety Certificates and a number of appliances were classified as either "immediately dangerous" or "at risk".

The landlord was putting his tenants at risk of death as deadly carbon monoxide fumes leaked into properties.

Carbon Monoxide is known as the "silent killer" due to its colourless, odourless and tasteless properties. Every landlord has a duty to their tenants to have gas appliances checked by a registered gas engineer every year to ensure their safety.

The HSE has fined the man £40,000 and ordered him to pay costs of £44,500 to Staffordshire Crown Court.

Bryan Nott, Partner at Simpson Millar LLP stated: "It is sad to see that landlords are still failing tenants in this way and putting them in grave danger. Every tenant has a right to a safe living environment without the fear of death due to faulty gas appliances."

"All tenants should request an annual gas safety check is carried out and should also consider getting a carbon monoxide detector fitted in their properties to alert them to any potential gas leaks."


To find out how we could help you please make a no-obligation enquiry or call freephone: 0808 129 3320.




News Archive


Get In Touch