Landlord fined £20,000 for cutting corners with gas boilers

Dated:   

A landlord was fined a total of £20,000 for 5 breaches of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 on 9 April 2009.

He was found guilty of carrying out work on gas boilers without being competent to do so; neglecting to ensure a gas boiler was in a safe working order; failing to have a record of gas safety checks and neglecting to give a copy of the gas safety check record to a tenant.

If a boiler develops a fault it can leak deadly carbon monoxide fumes into a property. If these fumes are inhaled in large doses the gas can be fatal due to its colourless, odourless and tasteless properties.

It is the responsibility of the landlord to ensure that all of the gas and fossil fuel burning appliances in their properties have regular gas safety checks by an appropriately trained gas engineer. By failing to do this the landlord is putting tenant's health and lives at risk.

HSE inspector Matthew Tackling said: "The HSE will not hesitate to prosecute landlords who fail to take their responsibilities to their tenants seriously and to follow up on those who fail to co-operate with any investigation or fail to appear in court."


To find out how we could help you please make a no-obligation enquiry or call freephone: 0808 129 3320.




News Archive


Get In Touch