Holiday Illness alert at First Choice Holiday Village Cala Millor


Holidaymakers returning from the Holiday Village Cala Millor (Majorca) are reporting an outbreak of gastrointestinal illness at the hotel – as well as ear infections among children staying there.

Holiday hotel Ill Guests

The Holiday Village Cala Millor (Majorca) is used by leading UK tour operator First Choice and offers all-inclusive package holidays popular with families.

Recent online reviews have raised concerns that there may be cleanliness issues at the hotel – and an outbreak of both gastroenteritis and ear infections among guests suggests that the swimming pool may be the source of one or both infections.

The parasite Cryptosporidium thrives in swimming pool water contaminated with faeces and is contracted by ingesting contaminated water. Symptoms of Cryptosporidiosis include stomach cramps, fever and sickness and diarrhoea associated with infective gastroenteritis.

Ear infections can also develop as a result of swimming pool water not adequately treated with chlorine, or water contaminated with faecal matter.

The Holiday Village Cala Millor (Majorca) is a 4-star hotel with six swimming pools and a range of bars and restaurants – but Tripadvisor reviews suggest that standards are falling below the expectations of some holidaymakers.

Under the Package Travel Regulations 1992, tour operators like First Choice have a legal duty to make sure standards of hygiene and cleanliness at hotels they send guests to are maintained so holidaymakers do not become ill.

Nick Harris, Head of International Travel Law states that "Any holidaymakers who have suffered from illness whilst at the Holiday Village Cala Millor in Majorca should make sure they get in touch with a reputable holiday lawyer to see if they are eligible for any compensation."

News Archive

Get In Touch