Have You Made Plans For Your Later Years?


With over 1.8 million people in Britain needed care in their later years, people need to start looking to the future to plan how and who will provide this care to them. At the moment, the UK spends around £13 billion on adult social care. This figure is large and unsustainable.

The number of people over the age of 65 in the population is now up to 18% this is a 13% increase from the 5% it was a century ago. As much as people would like to rely on the kindness of others and the NHS, it is important to take charge and plan your future.

What Plans Can I Make?

There are a number of ways that you can plan for your future.

Some of the options include:

  • Lasting powers of attorney (LPA)
  • Living wills
  • Deputyship
  • Financial planning if you go into a care home

These options give you a variety of choice when it comes to forward planning. These options can also be split into 2 sub-categories – before you lose mental capacity and afterwards.

Before you lose the mental capacity to make decisions for yourself you can appoint an LPA, create a living will or plan something for your financial future.

After you lose mental capacity, you are left with the option of deputyship. This is where a deputy is appointed by the Court of Protection to take care of your property and affairs or personal welfare. Sometimes you will need a deputy for both.

A solicitor will be able to advise you on which course of action is the best for you and your family. This will help you plan ahead and be secure in the knowledge that your affairs are all in order.

What is the Role of the Court of Protection?

The Court of Protection has a wide reaching role that includes:

  • Deciding if people can make decisions for themselves
  • Making decisions for those who are unable to make them for themselves
  • Appointing deputies to take care of people's affairs

In many circumstances, deputies will collect any income that you own and use this to pay for your place in a care home. Something you may not be able to do if you no longer have the capacity to make decisions for yourself.

Also, if you have recently lost capacity due to some other kind of injury, a deputy can be appointed to take care of any compensation you may receive, pay for on-going care fees or make decisions about any medical treatment you may need to receive.

How Can a Solicitor Help me Plan?

With a noticeable strain on the NHS and adult care provisions, it is ideal that you take matters into your own hands and plan for your future. By approaching a solicitor who is experienced in elderly care like Simpson Millar LLP, you are taking the first steps to a secure future

We have an expert team with years of experience dealing with deputyship, the court of protection and lasting powers of attorney.

We can also provide advice on retirement planning, funding long-term care home fees and recovering care home fees if you were wrongly charged.

Useful Links

News Archive

Get In Touch