Father's Day Advice - When Parents 'See Other People'


With Father's Day coming up this weekend, we're homing in on some of the concerns fathers may have. This is a short guide about some of the issues encountered when there's a 'third party involved', such as step parents and new partners.

Step-Parents disputes with Children

The Mother of your Child is with Someone Else

The common cliché – "He's more of a father than you!"

We're quite sure your own view on this is very different! A common problem we've encountered involves two groups - the mother and her new partner, both of which live with the child, and you, the father.

If your name is on the birth certificate of your child, or you were married to the mother of your child, you automatically have what is called 'parental responsibility'. This gives you legal rights and responsibilities.

If you're a non-resident father and have parental responsibility, the resident parent must keep you up-to-date on your child's wellbeing and progress. You will also still have an involvement in discipline, education, medical treatment, religion and culture, and the naming of your child.

What If I Don't Have Parental Responsibility?

Having parental responsibility doesn't automatically give you the right to contact with your child. However, it is often strongly desired by many fathers nonetheless, as it allows a father an involvement in the wellbeing of their child.

If you're not on your child's birth certificate, there are other ways you can get parental responsibility, by entering into a parental responsibility agreement, or by an order of the court.

Every family is different, and as such your own circumstances are not necessarily going to be the same. If you'd like to ask us a question or seek advice, feel free to contact us through our online enquiry box, or call our legal helpline on 0808 129 3320.

News Archive

Get In Touch