Family narrowly escape from carbon monoxide leak

Dated:

A young mother and her family had a narrow escape after a fire in their rented property became faulty.

Stacey Smith, aged 22 had only recently installed a carbon monoxide detector in her house and it was only due to the detector that she noted dangerously high levels of carbon monoxide within the property.

Four people in the home suddenly became very ill and the emergency services had to be called. They were found to be suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning. Without the aid of a carbon monoxide detector the outcome of this situation could have been a lot more serious.

Stacey is a mother of 2 young children who luckily were not at the property at the time of the leak. Firefighters who attended the scene said that due to the children only being 1 and 3 years old they would not have survived for more than an hour or two within the property during the carbon monoxide leak.

Carbon monoxide is often referred to as the "silent killer" as its properties make it colourless, odourless and tasteless. If the detector had not been in place this family could have died in their beds without being alerted to the deadly leak.

The Housing Executive of the property said: "The problem appears to have occurred due to an interruption to the water supply to the heating system and our contractors are currently carrying out repairs to the heating system to make the property safe. The family have been moved to temporary accommodation in the meantime."

Useful links





News Archive


Get In Touch