Essential safety checks for carbon monoxide fumes

Dated:

A landlady who failed to ensure the safety of gas appliances in her properties has been prosecuted.

She was found guilty of breaching Regulation 36(3) of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 and fined £5,000 with additional costs of £3,719.

All landlords have a duty to their tenants to ensure their safety by regularly servicing and maintaining any gas or fossil fuel burning appliances in their properties.

The Health and Safety Executive received complaints involving a heating system which was believed to be causing a carbon monoxide leak. They contacted her asking to see records of the yearly inspections and gas safety records. She failed to provide these.

Carbon monoxide is known as the silent killer due to its colourless, odourless and tasteless properties. It can also be fatal in high doses.

Anyone who rents a property has the right to request their landlord to carry out regular checks on all gas/fossil fuel appliances to ensure everything is working correctly and that carbon monoxide fumes are not being leaked into the property. You should also consider getting a carbon monoxide alarm fitted.




News Archive


Get In Touch