Dangerous levels of Carbon Monoxide found on Caravan Park

Dated:

A Caravan Park in South Yorkshire was found to be negligent by Doncaster Magistrates after Health and Safety Executive engineers found that leaking gas and dangerous levels of carbon monoxide fumes were present in many of the mobile homes on the park.

The owner was held to be negligent for failing to adhere to health and safety regulations covering the gas supply to the trailers, many of which were occupied by people in receipt of housing benefits.

In September 2006, a number of tenants reported their suspicions of gas leaks in their homes. A Health and Safety Executive inspector responded to these reports and found visible scorch marks around gas appliances such as cookers and gas fires and the presence of dangerous levels of carbon monoxide.

Some tenants had not been provided with a gas safety certificate for nearly 10 years.

In his report, the inspector stated: “In my 32 years in the industry, I have never come across such poor standards and lack of maintenance”.

In addition to the £16,000 fine, the owner was ordered to pay court costs amounting to £7,500 and repair costs of almost £5,000.

Bryan Nott, specialist in carbon monoxide claims at Simpson Millar said: “The outcome of this case could have been so much worse. Mobile homes can give rise to particular problems with carbon monoxide. This case does also show the importance of all landlords complying with their duties”.




News Archive


Get In Touch