Changes to National Minimum Wage


With effect from 1 October 2009 the National Minimum Wage rates are as follows:

  • £5.80 per hour for workers aged 22 and over
  • £4.83 per hour for workers aged 18 – 21
  • £3.57 per hour for workers aged 16 -17

What if my employer is paying me less the than the National Minimum Wage?

If you are a worker and your employer is paying you less than the National Minimum Wage, you can:

  • Make a complaint to HMRC (Her Majesty’s Revenue & Customs) who will take action to enforce your rights to payment at the proper rate.
  • You can submit a complaint to the HMRC by either submitting a complaint via their website at or your can telephone them on 0800 917 2368.

Alternatively, you could:

  • bring a claim in the Employment Tribunal. Note that any claim must be presented to the Tribunal within 3 months of the last date that you were paid less than the National Minimum Wage; or
  • bring a claim in the Civil Courts in respect of any underpayment. The time limit for civil claims is 6 years from the date that the employer failed to make proper payment.

Employers should note that failure to comply with their obligations under the National Minimum Wage Regulations could result in criminal prosecution and the imposition of a substantial fine.

Useful Links:

News Archive

Get In Touch