Carers Rights Day 2013 – Rights, Advice, Support


Carers Rights Day 2013 this year falls on the 29th of November, it is focused around rights, advice, and support.

Care of an elderly person

One in 8 adults are carers in the UK and they save the economy £119 billion every year by taking the lead role and caring for their loved ones. Not only do these heroes in the community juggle caring with work, they also have to work around their own family lives as well.

Unfortunately many carers, around 625,000, suffer mental and physical illness as a direct result of the demands of caring.

Do You Manage Their Affairs?

Many carers who look after their loved ones often take care of their financial affairs and physical wellbeing. Most do this without having a lasting power of attorney however, this may not provide them with the security they need to make those decisions.

A lasting power of attorney (LPA) allows you to make decisions regarding your loved ones financial or physical wellbeing after they have lost the ability to make those decisions themselves. An important part of LPA is that the person granting you that power must have the capacity to do so. They cannot do it after they have lost capacity from an illness such as dementia or Alzheimer's.

To find out more about LPA's and how you can become one read our guide.

If your loved one has already lost capacity, you can still manage their affairs and have a legal position in which to do so. This route is called deputyship. Deputyship allows you permission to manage their affairs when they no longer have the capacity to give you that permission. At this stage, the Court of Protection is involved in giving you the title of deputy.

If you are a carer that looks after somebody on benefits and they can no longer manage their own money, you can apply to become their appointee. As an appointee, you are responsible for receiving their benefits to manage them within their best interests.

Rights, Advice, Support – What Can A Solicitor Do For You?

If you are a carer, you may be unaware of your rights, where you can go to get advice and the support you are entitled to whether it is financial, emotional or legal.

A solicitor can help you to through the process of becoming an LPA, deputy or appointee by helping you fill out any necessary forms and aid you in submitting those forms to the Court of Protection.

A well-experienced solicitor in this area of law will be best placed to help you along your way.

News Archive

Get In Touch