Carbon monoxide poisoning risks by cowboy gas fitters

Dated:

Research has been conducted that reveals that a quarter of a million gas jobs each year are carried out by cowboy gas fitters.

By law every gas fitter must be registered as Gas Safe and be listed on the Gas Safe Register. Homeowners and tenants should ask to see the gas fitters "Gas Safe Register Card" before they allow them into their homes to work on their gas appliances.

By using a gas fitter who is not registered you are putting your family and yourself in grave danger of carbon monoxide poisoning. Carbon monoxide is frequently referred to as the "Silent Killer" as it is colourless, odourless and tasteless. This makes the gas hard to detect without the use of a carbon monoxide alarm.

If you don't have an alarm fitted in your property this deadly gas could build up and make you extremely ill and in some cases can be fatal.

Phil Brewster, Gas Safe Register's national investigations manager said: "Gas and cowboys do not mix, it’s a fact. One in 10 of the illegal gas installations were investigations in the last 9 months have been immediately dangerous and we had to disable the appliances straight away to make them safe."

"Almost half of these had faults that could lead to lethal carbon monoxide exposure."

The other aspect that members of the public should be aware of is that not all gas fitters are registered or qualified to work on all gas appliances eg if they are qualified to fit a gas fire they may not be qualified to fit a gas boiler. You can find out what the gas fitter is qualified to work on by looking at the back of the "Gas Safe Register Card".

If you have had gas work completed in your home in the last 6 months the Gas Safe Register urge you to contact them to nominate yourself for a "free gas safety check".

Useful info:





News Archive


Get In Touch