Carbon monoxide poisoning death prompts new charity

Dated:

A Berkshire man has set up a charity in his wife's name following her death due to accidental carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning.

Using £50,000 of charitable donations, Richard Haines has established the Katie Haines Memorial Trust as a legacy for his wife.

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Richard plans to ensure vulnerable groups such as holiday makers, students and the elderly are made fully aware of the dangers of carbon monoxide.

Katie, 31, of Wokingham, drowned in her bath after inhaling carbon monoxide from a leaking boiler. Although a gas engineer had certified the boiler "at risk" some months before, it had not been fixed, despite concerns about ventilation.

The couple had bought a carbon monoxide alarm but had not installed it.

Richard, who found his wife's body, said: "I knew something was up. We have a cat and the cat was acting really strangely. I found Katie in the bath, immersed, overcome by carbon monoxide."

Richard added that he had gone onto "auto-pilot" while getting his wife out of the bath and giving her CPR. Even after just 10 minutes in the house, he also had what he described as an "over-critical" level of carbon monoxide in his blood.

Bryan Nott of Simpson Millar LLP said that deaths and injuries from carbon monoxide poisoning are growing yearly. "CO is colourless and odourless, and therefore virtually impossible to notice without an efficient carbon monoxide detector. To keep your home and family safe, the importance of ensuring boilers, ovens and other appliances are properly fitted and regularly serviced cannot be overstated."




News Archive


Get In Touch