Carbon monoxide poisoning claims 2 lives on Christmas Day

Dated:   

A couple were found dead by police at 4pm on Christmas Day. Police believe their deaths may be attributable to carbon monoxide poisoning.

Carbon monoxide is known as the silent killer due to its colourless and odourless properties. Its fumes are highly toxic and if consumed in large doses can be fatal. Carbon monoxide can be emitted from faulty or poorly maintained gas or solid fuel burning appliances.

Zocika O'Reilly was supposed to be having Christmas Dinner with her neighbours, Mr and Mrs Reckless. Mr Reckless had sent his son over to see if Zocika was still coming over. Their son, Stephen, couldn't get an answer when he knocked the door so decided to get the spare key and check everything was okay.

Stephen found them lying in bed together, but assumed they had been drinking the night before and were sleeping it off. He decided not to disturb them. It was only when the police came over at 4pm asking to use the spare key that they found out they were dead.

Mrs Reckless said: "It would have been sad any time, but on Christmas Day it's nothing short of a tragedy. I have still got her present under the tree. I will miss her, she was outgoing and had a great sense of humour."

Bryan Nott, Partner of Simpson Millar LLP comments: "Everyone should be aware of the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning and install a carbon monoxide detector to ensure the safety of themselves and their families."

"It is also imperative that gas and solid fuel burning appliances are regularly serviced and maintained by approved engineers to avoid the risks of exposure to carbon monoxide."


To find out how we could help you please make a no-obligation enquiry or call freephone: 0808 129 3320.




News Archive


Get In Touch