Carbon Monoxide - Stay Gas Safe on Holiday

Dated:   

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning and Holiday compensation claims expert Solicitors Simpson Millar LLP warn about the dangers of CO poisoning on holiday.

Carbon Monoxide (CO) – You can’t see it - You can’t smell it - and it is deadly poisonous!

When people travel on holiday, whether abroad or at home, there is a general assumption made that because they have booked their holidays with reputable tour operators or companies they will be in safe hands.

This is sadly and in some instances a tragic and misguided assumption.

If you were asked to put a price on the safety of your family would you value it at less than £20?

If there is one item you must pack in your suitcase to protect your family it has to be a carbon monoxide alarm. Costing around £20 the alarm will alert you at the most critical times such as when you and your family sleeping and at your most vulnerable to gas.

Whether, at home or abroad on holiday, you and your family could be at risk of deadly carbon monoxide poisoning from poorly maintained gas appliances in the holiday accommodation. Make sure you know how to keep safe while on holiday.

Your hotel room, apartment, chalet or caravan is potentially a death trap. You don’t know how often the gas appliances have been checked or serviced by the owners? You don’t know if they have ever been checked!

Carbon monoxide is a lethal poisonous gas. It kills quickly and without warning with even exposure to the smallest level causing life long health problems.

Avoid Danger – Protect Your Family


Gas Safe Register advises that you must take a battery operated audible carbon monoxide alarm on holiday.

Place it in your room and it will detect any carbon monoxide in the property and alert you to danger.

You can buy carbon monoxide alarms in most DIY retailers for around £20 or from your energy supplier.

All you have to do is to remember to remove the batteries before airport check-in to make sure the alarm doesn’t go off during your flight.

When you return from holiday use the same alarm in your home!

Gas Safety on Holiday


Enjoy a gas safe holiday by following these simple tips suggested by Gas Safe Register:

  • Always take a battery operated audible carbon monoxide (CO) alarm on holiday and leave it in your room. When you return from your holiday, you can use the same CO alarm in your own home.
  • Check gas appliances in your accommodation for warning signs – lazy yellow flames on the gas fire or cooker instead of clean blue flames, black marks or stains around the fire or boiler, pilot lights that blow out easily and too much condensation in the room.
  • Know the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning - headache, dizziness, nausea, breathlessness, collapse, loss of consciousness.
  • If staying in a UK holiday home such as a caravan or B&B, make sure the Landlord has had a legal annual gas safety check carried out and has had gas appliances serviced regularly. You can ask the owner for an up-to-date Landlord’s gas safety certificate.
  • If you smell gas or think there might be a gas leak: turn off the gas at the meter, extinguish naked flames, open windows and leave the area. Seek medical advice if you feel unwell. Call the Gas Emergency freephone number 0800 111 999.

For more gas safety information visit www.GasSafeRegister.co.uk or call 0800 408 5500.

Useful Links:



To find out how we could help you please make a no-obligation enquiry or call freephone: 0808 129 3320.




News Archive


Get In Touch